224.5 msw with Ambient Pressure Diving closed circuit rebreather....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wazza

Reaction score
New World Depth Record with APD Inspiration rebreather.
Safaga, August, 21st, 2003. Eight nautical miles from Safaga, Egypt on Panorama Reef.
Today a dive-team consisting of three German divers succeeded in reaching a depth of 224.5 m with the Ambient Pressure Diving closed circuit rebreather.
The divers Volker Clausen, Manfred Führmann and Chris Ullmann set this new world record easily exceeding the previous record of 189m in this category. During this record attempt all three divers had severe technical problems with their equipment which will temporarily delay confirmation of the record. However it is expected that The Guinness-Book will record the attempt in its next release. The German TV-Magazine "Galileo" will exclusively document this amazing feat in its October edition.
Altogether17 safety divers, countless surface assistants along with a considerable logistical and technical effort of the ORCA-Diving Center in Safaga made this attempt possible. One of the owners of ORCA Diving Center is Volker Clausen one of the new world record holders: "We have been preparing intensively for many weeks and had four of our boats and almost one hundred cylinders with approx. 253.000 liter of different gases in use." said Volker.
On the morning of August 21st the world record attempt begun on time at 7.00 a.m. as the boats left Safaga for the Panorama Reef.
During the days prior Manfred Führmann and his assistants anchored an Underwater-Habitat at the reef in six meters. The habitat can most easily be described as a underwater-balloon holding an air-bubble. This shelter kept the risk of the ascent for the three divers at a minimum. As planned Clausen, Führmann und Ullmann begun the world record attempt at 9.00 a.m. The descent to 224.5 M (2.5 M deeper than planned) took 11 minutes. This is 35.5 meter below the previous world record of 189 meters, which was established last year in Dahab, Sinai close to our location. The diving world is a small one!
The record was not achieved without difficulties as they encountered some severe problems and it was only the audacious feats of the divers along with their meticulous preparation that won the day. Manfred Führmann commented "the attempt was hanging by a thread at many points during the dive." Manfred’s problems started on the descent at 210 meters as all his instruments failed before coming back again. Despite this failure he continued down to the other divers at the record depth because he had the camera which would prove the record.
The electronics of Volker Clausen also failed on the ascent at 220 Meter depth and these would not start again. He ascended to 90 Meters with the help of his emergency-gas and fellow divers where the safety divers then stepped in to give more gas. The emergency-scenario worked as it had been planned and rehearsed. The 3 divers would surely have failed if it had not been for the excellent team work of the safety divers. Divers supplied OC air until another Inspiration was delivered 3 minutes later. Volker Clausen "I can't remember, but I guess I thought temporarily - that's it.”
The rebreather electronics of the third record-diver Chris Ullmann failed also - "luckily at a depth of 50 Meters” He went to his emergency stages before he too received another Inspiration rebreather from one of the safety divers. All three divers stated after the dive that they were back safe because of luck, experience from thousands of dives, perfect advanced planning and the professionalism of their safety crew.
The three divers went into the underwater-habitat after almost fours hours of ascent and spent another three hours there. The crew took good care of them and even served German bratwurst. Führmann and Ullmann finished their dive on time after a little more than seven hours, Clausen spent another one hour for reasons of safety.
As he boarded the Alia I at 17.30 p.m. he finally received a hurricane of applause from all the four Orca boats and the flotilla of other dive boats which had anchored at the reef to witness the world record attempt.
The three record breaking divers were exhausted but in excellent physical condition, proud of their achievement and glad to have preserved their good health. All divers agreed that the Inspiration rebreather had been dived to its absolute limit. Without further modification the rebreather could not be taken deeper!
Any dive can be dangerous. The deeper one goes the more dangerous it becomes. Below 100m is extremely risky, but below 180 meters then you are really risking your life. Volker, Manfred and Chris barely escaped from this attempt. Chris Ullmann: "This rebreather couldn't stand the pressure of 23 bar”
Despite the risks all divers agreed that 21st of August 2003 will be the highlight of their diving career, a fascinating experience which to them was beyond words.
This record attempt has been registered already in May at the Guinness-Book of Records. The pictures shoot by Manfred Führmann with his underwater-camera will prove this.
The pictures will also be shown in the German TV-Magazine "Galileo" ProSieben also shot the expedition with their own camera during the teams advance planning and the world record will air their exclusive footage some time in October. Look for details.

sorry then

Hey Wazza, where've you been.
Haven't seen you on the board in months.
Welcome back.

If anyone is interested, I know of a LAR 5 available, NIB, on offer. I have seen the unit, and it is in pristine condition. It was built in 1993 by Draeger (of course) and is in the metal box, with the protective talc on the rubber parts, has the sealed plastic bag with spare parts, and the Draeger manual in both English and German. It also comes with all necessary paperwork. Instruction is offered as part of the asking price.

Anyone interested should contact:

Justin Wehring, CHT, DMT

<justin_wehring@mhhs.org>

BJD

caveseeker7:
Hey Wazza, where've you been.
Haven't seen you on the board in months.
Welcome back.

hy caveseeker
and thanks for the welcome.
This summer I was managing a diving center in Beirut
It was really busy for me, so I had not time to come
And post anything. now its winter so I have plenty of
Time leaning some web design and trying to make
A web for me, this is my new domain name, its my
Phone number as well, I thought its easy to be memorized
www.269696.com/main of course still working on it.
If u like to see it, u need a flash player
Thanks again for the wecome

Hello,
the article has a smal misstake. The camerateam who was producing the documentary of the deep-diverecord was not a team of "Galileo". The documantary was produced by the tv-company Kellersohn-TV and was shown in the german Magazin "Galileo" on Pro7
For futher informations visit
http://www.Kellersohn-TV.de

wazza:
New World Depth Record with APD Inspiration rebreather.
Safaga, August, 21st, 2003. Eight nautical miles from Safaga, Egypt on Panorama Reef.
Today a dive-team consisting of three German divers succeeded in reaching a depth of 224.5 m with the Ambient Pressure Diving closed circuit rebreather.
The divers Volker Clausen, Manfred Führmann and Chris Ullmann set this new world record easily exceeding the previous record of 189m in this category. During this record attempt all three divers had severe technical problems with their equipment which will temporarily delay confirmation of the record. However it is expected that The Guinness-Book will record the attempt in its next release. The German TV-Magazine "Galileo" will exclusively document this amazing feat in its October edition.
Altogether17 safety divers, countless surface assistants along with a considerable logistical and technical effort of the ORCA-Diving Center in Safaga made this attempt possible. One of the owners of ORCA Diving Center is Volker Clausen one of the new world record holders: "We have been preparing intensively for many weeks and had four of our boats and almost one hundred cylinders with approx. 253.000 liter of different gases in use." said Volker.
On the morning of August 21st the world record attempt begun on time at 7.00 a.m. as the boats left Safaga for the Panorama Reef.
During the days prior Manfred Führmann and his assistants anchored an Underwater-Habitat at the reef in six meters. The habitat can most easily be described as a underwater-balloon holding an air-bubble. This shelter kept the risk of the ascent for the three divers at a minimum. As planned Clausen, Führmann und Ullmann begun the world record attempt at 9.00 a.m. The descent to 224.5 M (2.5 M deeper than planned) took 11 minutes. This is 35.5 meter below the previous world record of 189 meters, which was established last year in Dahab, Sinai close to our location. The diving world is a small one!
The record was not achieved without difficulties as they encountered some severe problems and it was only the audacious feats of the divers along with their meticulous preparation that won the day. Manfred Führmann commented "the attempt was hanging by a thread at many points during the dive." Manfred’s problems started on the descent at 210 meters as all his instruments failed before coming back again. Despite this failure he continued down to the other divers at the record depth because he had the camera which would prove the record.
The electronics of Volker Clausen also failed on the ascent at 220 Meter depth and these would not start again. He ascended to 90 Meters with the help of his emergency-gas and fellow divers where the safety divers then stepped in to give more gas. The emergency-scenario worked as it had been planned and rehearsed. The 3 divers would surely have failed if it had not been for the excellent team work of the safety divers. Divers supplied OC air until another Inspiration was delivered 3 minutes later. Volker Clausen "I can't remember, but I guess I thought temporarily - that's it.”
The rebreather electronics of the third record-diver Chris Ullmann failed also - "luckily at a depth of 50 Meters” He went to his emergency stages before he too received another Inspiration rebreather from one of the safety divers. All three divers stated after the dive that they were back safe because of luck, experience from thousands of dives, perfect advanced planning and the professionalism of their safety crew.
The three divers went into the underwater-habitat after almost fours hours of ascent and spent another three hours there. The crew took good care of them and even served German bratwurst. Führmann and Ullmann finished their dive on time after a little more than seven hours, Clausen spent another one hour for reasons of safety.
As he boarded the Alia I at 17.30 p.m. he finally received a hurricane of applause from all the four Orca boats and the flotilla of other dive boats which had anchored at the reef to witness the world record attempt.
The three record breaking divers were exhausted but in excellent physical condition, proud of their achievement and glad to have preserved their good health. All divers agreed that the Inspiration rebreather had been dived to its absolute limit. Without further modification the rebreather could not be taken deeper!
Any dive can be dangerous. The deeper one goes the more dangerous it becomes. Below 100m is extremely risky, but below 180 meters then you are really risking your life. Volker, Manfred and Chris barely escaped from this attempt. Chris Ullmann: "This rebreather couldn't stand the pressure of 23 bar”
Despite the risks all divers agreed that 21st of August 2003 will be the highlight of their diving career, a fascinating experience which to them was beyond words.
This record attempt has been registered already in May at the Guinness-Book of Records. The pictures shoot by Manfred Führmann with his underwater-camera will prove this.
The pictures will also be shown in the German TV-Magazine "Galileo" ProSieben also shot the expedition with their own camera during the teams advance planning and the world record will air their exclusive footage some time in October. Look for details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom