2022 Anilao trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Merry and I just returned from three and a half weeks in Analao. We stayed at Crystal Blue Resort. SoCal native Mike Bartick has done a ton of work improving the facility. It was a very nice trip, especially compared to our last trip to the Philippines. Each room includes a shower with plenty of water pressure and air conditioning. The only work we did was walking up and down steps all day. The crew carries your tanks/BC and camera to and from the boat. The guides are adept at finding critters from octopus to nearly microscopic shrimp and nudibranchs. The first ten days included four day dives and an occasional night dive. The next seven days included one day dive and two blackwater dives. Between diving, meals, and photo workshops, there was little time for sleep. We caught up when we got home yesterday.

One of the divers in our group, Britta Siegers from Germany competed in four Paralympics, winning eight gold, four silver, and one bronze medal. It was difficult to keep up with her underwater. We spent our trip with several divers already known to us including Audrey Garbacik from Washington and a Southern California contingent that included Merry and me, Mike Bartick, Richard Salas, John and Fletcher Forbes, Nannette and Bill Van Antwerp, Linda Blanchard, and Walter Marti.

Visibility was good every day with water temperature as high as 86°.

Photo intensive report at 2022 Anilao Trip

Nice pics. How long do you typically need to wait until the gills come back out when you put a nudi on your slate?

We went there in 2013 and stayed at Club Ocellaris. Insect droppings from the ceiling, holes in the mattress, and no water pressure for a shower for eleven days. It was so bad that we vowed never to return to the Philippines. Last year, Merry was looking at Mike Bartick's blackwater photos and wanted to go back, but stay at Crystal Blue instead. I'm glad we did.

Thanks for the report and outstanding photos! I love the Philippines and am looking forward to getting back next year.
Audrey is a friend of mine and old dive buddy in the PNW. One of my favorite photos all time is of GPO that I found for her to take a picture of at Sund Rock.

Nice work Phil, did you enjoy the blackwater diving? would you do more or less if you went again?

Hi. These are wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing them. You are inspiring me to go there. How are ocean conditions in Anilao during July and August? I know it is rainy season, but does that affect visibility underwater at all or lead to greater currents? How deep were most of the sea creates you photographed? I might primarily freedive there if it is feasible.

I think there is more value in all the camera geared in the photo with them all on the steps than in our 3 cars combined lol.

Looks like a great trip. Just out of curiosity would you recommend it for people with only a passive interest in macro?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom