2019 Fiji Itinerary - Advice appreciated!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pnw86

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,
Just wanted to say that I have read a lot of previous posts here on Fiji but still had questions. Hopefully this post can provide insight to others who are considering this destination as well. We are looking for clean / more affordable resorts, all inclusive with good food, and good, safe diving. This is what we have researched / put together so far.

Day 1: depart US
Day 3: arrive Nadi early AM, fly to Kadavu - considering staying at Oneta on Ono Island or Matava on Kadavu
Day 4-7: dive
Day 8: fly from Kadavu to Nadi/Suva and then to Taveuni, likely stay at Nakia (also considering Cottage Grove or Garden Island)
Day 9-12: stay on Taveuni and dive/hike
Day 13: transfer from Taveuni to Qamea or Matangi
Day 14-16: stay at Qamea or Matangi and dive/relax
Day 17: fly back to Nadi in the AM and depart Nadi late at night; arrive back in US that afternoon

Questions:
1. anyone who has stayed at Oneta (Ono Island) or Matava (Kadavu) or both? Would love to hear your thoughts between these two
2. Many posts on this board regarding Nakia being a great place - anything else we should know or any reason to pick Cottage Grove or Garden Island over this?
3. Anyone dive at both Kadavu and Taveuni? We are wondering how many days to spend at each spot
4. How much layover time is necessary in Nadi in case of delays getting back for our flight home? Also, any tips on where to stay in Nadi and what to do would be appreciated

We are planning for October or November, as it works for our schedule

Really appreciate any tips and advice! Thank you in advance

I enjoyed Kadavu and toured but did not stay at Ono Island and it was beautiful. Taveuni is great and probably has even better diving and waterfalls. I also found Namena Island really really great diving.

You might concentrate on just 2 dive locations as that’s a lot of hopping around. You might hit bad weather or some other travel snafu and regret trying to fit everything in on one trip. I’d do a day or two more at Taveuni Vs. Kandavu.

I agree. Taveuni definitely has better diving. You will not be sorry if you choose Nakia. It is the best and has a great dive operation Taveuni Ocean Sports.

Hi,
Just wanted to say that I have read a lot of previous posts here on Fiji but still had questions. Hopefully this post can provide insight to others who are considering this destination as well. We are looking for clean / more affordable resorts, all inclusive with good food, and good, safe diving. This is what we have researched / put together so far.

Day 1: depart US
Day 3: arrive Nadi early AM, fly to Kadavu - considering staying at Oneta on Ono Island or Matava on Kadavu
Day 4-7: dive
Day 8: fly from Kadavu to Nadi/Suva and then to Taveuni, likely stay at Nakia (also considering Cottage Grove or Garden Island)
Day 9-12: stay on Taveuni and dive/hike
Day 13: transfer from Taveuni to Qamea or Matangi
Day 14-16: stay at Qamea or Matangi and dive/relax
Day 17: fly back to Nadi in the AM and depart Nadi late at night; arrive back in US that afternoon

Questions:
1. anyone who has stayed at Oneta (Ono Island) or Matava (Kadavu) or both? Would love to hear your thoughts between these two
2. Many posts on this board regarding Nakia being a great place - anything else we should know or any reason to pick Cottage Grove or Garden Island over this?
3. Anyone dive at both Kadavu and Taveuni? We are wondering how many days to spend at each spot
4. How much layover time is necessary in Nadi in case of delays getting back for our flight home? Also, any tips on where to stay in Nadi and what to do would be appreciated

We are planning for October or November, as it works for our schedule

Really appreciate any tips and advice! Thank you in advance

I was in Fiji in January and it was awesome. We spent 3 days diving with Beqa Adventure Divers including two days of shark dives and then flew to Taveuni and spent a week with Paradise Taveuni. We loved staying at Paradise Taveuni. The dives and resort staff were great and they have a nice House Reef for shore diving that is still recovering from Cyclone Winston. If you go to Taveuni make sure to plan your dates so the soft coral is opening and try diving the White Wall.

I would suggest allowing three hours before your international segments and 1.5 hours between the inter island flights.

Thanks for all the input. I think we are re-arranging a bit to do a week on kandavu and a week on Taveuni. Will let you know what we do and provide a trip report for those they are looking at a similar trip!

I've not dived arund Kadavu but did around Matangi when we stayed 0n the island. We chose the Taveuni area since by reports it was better diving. We mostly dove around Mantangi and Qamea but did have a day trip to the Somosomo straights and dived around Taveuni. We did have a trip to Taveuni for the falls on one day.

The area has much soft corals and my two favorite dives I have ever done are Noels wall and Yellow wall. In my opinion much better and bigger than White wall in Somosomo straights.

I would allow more time for inter-island flights. On the way out we had an unscheduled stop on Vanua Levu before getting to Nadi. On the way in we had a significant mechanical delay. However since the plane was not full (1/2?) I was not charged anything for baggage overages - scuba gear and camera. I would be prepared for it if you're traveling heavy.

Good luck

Hi everyone,

It was nice to read above. I want to know if I have 4 days in Fiji Island which island and dive company you recommend. Since I have 4 days it is probably not the best idea to hop islands so I want to make the best of it. One dive I really want to do is Bega Lagoon. I am planning on going in April.

Your thoughts will highly appreciated.

We stayed at Oneta on Ono Island this past November. It's absolutely amazing. They are not a dive resort per se, but their divemaster (Vo) is very knowledgeable about the local sites. We were the only divers when we were there, so we had concierge service the entire time. Only regret is that we didn't dive outside the Astrolabe Reef due to high winds/surf. If you love hard coral (as I do), Kadavu doesn't disappoint. They were building a new dive center when we were there, so hopefully it will be complete if/when you decide to visit.

We are definitely going back to Oneta the next time we visit Fiji.

Hi :)
You are looking in the same areas I was looking at. All look like great choices. I will be staying at Qamea and diving that area and around Tavenuni, The rainbow reef, Noels wall, yellow wall etc. I will be there in May so will post any tips. I may set up a trip website blog so will let you know!! Enjoy planning your trip!!!!!!!!!

Suzzzzzzz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom