2016 4-H Washington State KYG Resolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaTriskeLion

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Sorry if this isn't in the right section of the forum, but this is the best place I could find to put it. :)

Every year there is a 4-H convention in Olympia, WA called Know Your Government, which is where teens can learn different things about our government on a four-year rotation of subjects. In an incomplete nutshell, this year is political parties and the nomination process, where each county will choose a delegate as our candidate to run for "Governor." Over the weekend we will be running mock campaigns and making our own party platforms which will be presented to our district legislators at a legislative dinner on the last evening of the conference.

Before the conference, we are each supposed to come up with a resolution for something - a new law, change of a law or regulation, etc., which will support planks that make up our party platform. My resolution was to get boat antifouling paints banned in the state of Washington. For those of you who aren't familiar with them, here is an awesome explanation of their effects on the environment: https://www.auroramarine.com/ask-the-skipper/viewtopic.php?t=1067.

However, it turns out that the paints were already banned in Washington in 2011. Good for them for being five years ahead of me! But now I have to find a new subject for my resolution.

Since my resolution is no longer viable, I thought I'd ask you all for ideas for interesting topics. Of course I could search for a new one on my own, but I thought I should ask people directly involved with aquatics their opinions on the subject. I have been assigned the Environment category, which means that I need to write a resolution on something related to things that affect the environment in Washington state. With my recent fascination with SCUBA, of course I turned to the sea world. :)

Are there any laws or regulations you would like to see changed or added? Anything that you think should be altered in order to further protect our earth? It doesn't have to directly relate to the water, but sea life fascinates me and I'd love to see it preserved for eternity. :)

Thanks for any input!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom