2014 Compact Cameras for Underwater Photos & Movie round up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yah the sony is capable of shots like this. Show me another compact that is. You hit it right on the money with that blog post.
DSC05970.jpg

The Canon A570(8 year old technology) wasn't too shabby--.....these were shot with no strobes & no 'extra' lenses used......
longreefwithcolor.jpg

redcoral2.jpg

And CU wasn't too bad, either..
coralbf.jpg

flyinggurnard-1.jpg

Last edited:
The Canon A570(8 year old technology) wasn't too shabby--.....these were shot with no strobes & no 'extra' lenses used......
longreefwithcolor.jpg

redcoral2.jpg

And CU wasn't too bad, either..
coralbf.jpg

flyinggurnard-1.jpg

I have had that camera for years. It was good but had not RAW. The pictures tend to oversature red as all canons do and those you are showing here seem right at the start but have the same issues
Things have moved on these days a camera with RAW is a must

yah the sony is capable of shots like this. Show me another compact that is. You hit it right on the money with that blog post.

Paul, I don't know how to say this nicely, but the photo you posted above and in another thread fail to impress. I am sure the RX100 is a good camera, but those photos do not show it.

Since you asked, here is an example of what I was able to achieve with my Canon S100:

Nice blog review, Interceptor. I am curious to know why you eliminated the Canons from video consideration due to lack of exposure control. Is it that critical a feature to have? I was very happy with the video I was able to get from my S100. Exposure always seemed fine. More importantly it had some sort of smart auto-white balance feature that worked quite underwater with no need to do manual underwater white-balance (unlike my old SeaLife). I think (but am not sure) that you still have to do manual white-balance underwater with the Sony. The S100 also focused very well in video mode (unlike my current EOS M).

cheers and happy diving!

Hi Rob. The canon video is very inconsistent. In some circumstances works ok in other you have clipped highlights and over exposures. There are good examples of S series video that are ok but many more that aren't that good if you look into the details. Another issue is the lack of format choices canon now provides double frame rate at 60p but am not clear how that benefits PAL users at 50Hz. I am a long time canon S series user and I do like the camera having used panasonic and sony I can tell you there is an abyss of difference
White balance is a problem with all the camera reviewed but for different reasons

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom