200LX + DCX vs XTX50 Side Mount Set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flatline

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Getting into side mount and am considering these two for a set. Can probably get the Hollis for a better price but is there a definitive reason to choose one over the other? I have only used Dacor back in the 90’s and Aqua Lung LX for the last 10 years. Looking at taking SM course and then XREAN. Appreciate any insight/opinions. :wink:

I have the Apeks and love them. I wouldn't buy anything Huish own, there's a lot of talk about crap customer service and service kits being hard to get.

I service Apeks at our LDS and they are well built and generally kits for life. I have a DS4 and ATX40 2nd and octo for back mount.
Friends of mine dive the DST and XTX50 for side mount, they are very happy with them and they are easy to work in. My side mount set is the Dive Rite XT. I bought them because I used a rental set on my side mount course, liked them a lot and they were cheaper than the Apeks DST and XTX50 and I could do 5 rebuilds before I reached the price of the Apeks.

The Hollis set retails for about $1400. Can probably get some discount. Maybe $300? So not a lot less than the Apex in my mind. So about $1000 for DR, $1100 for Hollis, $1500 Apex.

I have 200LX DCX x2, just took my sidemount course with them no problems at all. Hollis has good stuff but nothing is perfect. I’ve had mine serviced regularly with never a problem. What I have noticed is yes at times it’s hard to get something online, but my lds doesn’t seam to have the same problem. I’ve never used Apex so I’ll talk crap about it (joke)! No one on scubaboard likes Hollis so better to stay away from them lol. If you can try some out see what ones you like best. Everyone has their favorites and hates anything that’s not it!

I have a mix of DSTs and 50 class regs spanning the last 30 years of models. They all work great, and the best part is they all use the same service kits.

Most of mine I got used on eBay. You guys in the UK tend to sell them cheaper than local folks on this side of the pond.

I have 2 side mount reg sets. One is a pair of MK15s with a D300 and balanced/adjustable. The other is a pair of MK5s with a balanced/adjustable and a 109. I paid about $75 for each of the MK15s, $50 or so each for the MK5s, and maybe about $40 each on average for the 2nd stages. Of course I know how to service these regs so that adds a lot of value, but the point is you don't have to spend much to get high performing, very reliable regulators.

So it turns out you can’t even buy the xtx50 much of anywhere. The are back ordered for around six months.

Back
Top Bottom