2007 DAN Report--gas management fatalities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The recent discussion piqued my curiosity, so I examined every case file from the DAN 2007 report for fatalities (year studied = 2005) to look at the characteristics of those associated with low on air or out of air situations. I wanted to know who these people were and why they were running out of air. I started off by counting everything that mentioned an empty or near empty tank. I eliminated a few that were really caused by entanglement, meaning that running out of air was a result more than a cause--there were only a couple. In two curious cases the heading of the incident mentioned a low air situation, but the detailed descriptions did not; in fact, the deaths in those cases clearly had no relationship to any air situation whatsoever.

I also did not include a cave diving incident in which there was clearly a skill mishap when the diver did not handle his posts correctly--his tanks were not out of air.

I did not include two rebreather divers who died testing their equipment in a pool.

Just to be clear, I would have included this recent case of the Oregon couple if it had been part of the report, since being low on air was a contributing factor regardless of any other factors involved..

Anyway, here is what I found.

There were 15 cases that involved low on air or out of air as a contributing cause.

Here is how DAN broke the cases down by training/experience level of the diver (they had trouble telling for sure sometimes):

Unknown: 1

Inexperienced:3
Two were also described as being signficantly overweighted. The other did a solo single tank dive to 163 feet for 25 minutes, according to his computer.

Moderate experience:3
In placing people in this catergory, I either used DAN's description or a number of dives greater than 25.

Experienced: 3
This includes a cavern certified diver who decided to do a complex cave dive. It also includes one that probably should not be included at all--his air was not turned on.

Highly trained and experienced: 5
This includes a public safety diver, a tech diver, a rebreather diver, an instructor, and a shop owner.

And your conclusion is what?

were you by chance able to determine from wich agencies these people recieved their training?

And your conclusion is what?

I am just presenting the facts. You may draw your own conclusions.

The impetus for my work was some discussions about the fatality levels due to poor instruction in gas management. I thought I would just put those numbers together so that people would have data to work with rather than guesses.

were you by chance able to determine from wich agencies these people recieved their training?

There is not a word of that in the report. I would guess that DAN has no way of knowing. They get almost all of their information from incident reports, coroner's reports, etc. That information would not be included in such a report since it is not germane to that purpose. The only one where it might have been possible was with a student who died during a class. (Heart attack, as I recall.)

The recent discussion piqued my curiosity, so I examined every case file from the DAN 2007 report for fatalities (year studied = 2005) to look at the characteristics of those associated with low on air or out of air situations. I wanted to know who these people were and why they were running out of air. I started off by counting everything that mentioned an empty or near empty tank. I eliminated a few that were really caused by entanglement, meaning that running out of air was a result more than a cause--there were only a couple. In two curious cases the heading of the incident mentioned a low air situation, but the detailed descriptions did not; in fact, the deaths in those cases clearly had no relationship to any air situation whatsoever.

I also did not include a cave diving incident in which there was clearly a skill mishap when the diver did not handle his posts correctly--his tanks were not out of air.

I did not include two rebreather divers who died testing their equipment in a pool.

Just to be clear, I would have included this recent case of the Oregon couple if it had been part of the report, since being low on air was a contributing factor regardless of any other factors involved..

Anyway, here is what I found.

There were 15 cases that involved low on air or out of air as a contributing cause.

Here is how DAN broke the cases down by training/experience level of the diver (they had trouble telling for sure sometimes):

Two were also described as being signficantly overweighted. The other did a solo single tank dive to 163 feet for 25 minutes, according to his computer.

Moderate experience:3
In placing people in this catergory, I either used DAN's description or a number of dives greater than 25.

This includes a cavern certified diver who decided to do a complex cave dive. It also includes one that probably should not be included at all--his air was not turned on.

This includes a public safety diver, a tech diver, a rebreather diver, an instructor, and a shop owner.

These are very interesting results. A couple of off-the-cuff observations:

- looking that these numbers I'm surprised that there weren't more incidents than this.
- Darwin award winners really should have thier own category
- looking at this data, you would draw the conclusion that lack of training has little correlation to the issue.

R..

- looking at this data, you would draw the conclusion that lack of training has little correlation to the issue.

R..

8 out of 15

The later two I will not take into acount,but the rest where highly trained divers.
IMO OW divers are quite safe.:)

Thanks - helps put a lot of the hand-wringing in another thread into perspective.

Thanks - helps put a lot of the hand-wringing in another thread into perspective.

I see both sides. As a recreational student you follow your instructor around like a puppy dog, as a competent recreational diver you are pretty much thinking for yourself. That particularly dangerous space in between remains devoid of any real gas management skills and and other important self-survival drills. -Maybe because it is counterproductive for agencies to teach complete independence? <Overstated to make a point> The point: The agencies should be hammering away at survival skills from the very beginning. Drop weight, orally inflate. Doing it once in a pool is crap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom