2 weeks in Indonesia..thinking Komodo/Bunaken

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bballnut90

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,
Wanted to get some input...I'm going to Indonesia next year for 2 weeks in late April/early May. I have my AOW and about 35 dives under my belt, my friend who is coming has 11 dives and his open water cert.

For the first part of the trip, I'd like to go to a spot with lots of critters/colorful fish/coral that has good snorkeling right off shore. This would also be a spot where my roommate can get his AOW cert. After doing a little research, it sounds like Bunaken/Lembeh might be a good option here, but I'm not 100% sure if the weather is ideal in April for diving/snorkeling. If anyone has other recommendations for great spots in April/May, let me know.

For the 2nd part of the trip, I'm definitely wanting to do Komodo for a 4d/3n or 3d/2n liveaboard. I should have close to 40 dives under my belt by then, and my roommate should be close to 20 with his AOW.

I love the idea of Raja Ampat too, but it's a bit expensive and I'd like to save it for when I have more dives under my belt.

So in summary, thinking 4-5 days in Bunaken/Lembah or a different location, 4-5 days in Komodo, and then 1-2 days in Bali on either end. Overall this seem like a solid itinerary? Any factors I've overlooking or should take into consideration?

I wish you a lovely holiday in this amazing country that is Indonesia. Your itinerary seems great! Be careful about choosing a safe operator in Komodo, especially for your friend. My only additional advice would be to be careful about diving Lembeh as a new diver. The muck diving there is incredible but it is not recommended unless you have perfect buoyancy and can frog kick since the sand is so fine.

Your itinerary has too much flying involved. You are losing too many dive days.
For two weeks I would suggest you either stick to N Sulawesi or stick to Bali and its surrounding islands.

For N-Sulawesi you can spend 4 days at Bunaken; 4 days in Bangka and 4 days in Lembeh then travel in-land for 2 days seeing the Highlands and the forests.
Yes Lemebh has got fine sands and you need to keep an eye on your buoyancy but the diving is easy, so it should be fine. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Lembeh....and Bangka!!

For Bali - Spend the first few days exploring Bali and getting over jet lag. Then dive a few days in Tulamben a few days in Padang Baai ( you can also dive Nusa Pendina from here), then head off to Komodo for the short Live Aboard. A note of caution, 20 dives is probably not enough for Komodo because of the currents...an AOW cert means NOTHING in terms of safety!!! Only time below the water and in different conditions counts.

Either option you will have a great time.

Or 1 week in Manado & 1 week in Bali. Spare Komodo for next trip.

I did this trip once with Singapore Airlines multi city route with international outbound flight Houston-Singapore-Manado & inbound flight Denpasar-Singapore-Houston (same price as a regular roundtrip). Then, I only paid one way domestic flight from Manado to Denpasar.

Agree that it’s way too much flying...you will los a lot of time. If your international flight gets into Bali , I would just stay there and spend a few days either in the Gilis or Lembongan. If it gets into Jakarta , then Sulawesi for sure is great. Getting from Manado to Komodo will take at least one very long day , or even two. Getting around Indonesia takes a long time and personally I would devote my time to getting lots and lots of dives under my belt.

Best fishes x

Thanks for the tips everyone. Right now I'm thinking I'll do Nusa Penida/Lembongan and then Komodo. I'm sure there are threads on this, but is big difference between NP and NL for getting the AOW course?

Are you sure to start in the areas where all the best sites have heavy currents? Why not build up more experience first in an exciting and beautiful dive-paradise such as Weda Bay. Every possible underwater environment you can find here. But without crazy currents.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Right now I'm thinking I'll do Nusa Penida/Lembongan and then Komodo. I'm sure there are threads on this, but is big difference between NP and NL for getting the AOW course?

Skip Blue Corner & Crystal Bay. Manta Point & SD could be OK.

Take AOW at home.

Back
Top Bottom