2 Video lights and 1 Strobe - Best Configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daebado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As the title says, I'm running two Big Blue video lights and have one Inon S2000 strobe on the way.
I've got (2x) 8" float arms, (2x) 6" ultralight arms and (2x) 3" straight arms (look like dumbbells with the balls on each end and straight rod connecting them). I also have one 3-way clamp that I can put wherever needed.

Not sure the best way to configure this setup to give me the most versatility.
I currently have the ultralight arms coming off the top of my tray handles and then the float-arms attached to those (one with a two-way clamp and one with a 3-way). I was thinking about using one of the 3" dumbbells to attach the strobe at the elbow connecting one of the ultralight arms to its float arm. This would allow easy positioning of the strobe over the camera which is probably where I would use it most of the time and still leaves the video lights free to move about as needed for the most part.

I've also thought about using the 3-way clamp at one of the video lights and connecting the strobe to that but I'm not sure I want to always have my video light and strobe move together. I can see times where I might want to use both lights with the video lights spread out for fill lighting and the strobe closer in.

Anyone else use this type of setup? If so, how do you configure your lights?
Even if you don't have this setup, I'll still listen to your suggestions!

Hi Daebado - You've got some really nice gear. There's a couple things here.

First, you would want to use either your lights OR video lights, not both at once. So while you can carry all three for photo and video shooting, you wouldn't combine them (yes, exceptions are made at advanced levels). Here's a tutorials video explaining why: Lights vs Strobes; Why You Need Light Underwater.

The arm segments you use will be determined by balance and where you'll want to position your lighting. With that in mind, most shooters would attach the float arms to the handles (the first segment), then the other arms outside that. Check out the diagrams in this Underwater Strobe Positioning video (21 minutes).

Adding the strobe will also be personal preference. Assuming you will shoot video with dual Big Blue lights, and then stills with the single strobe, like you said, I would attach the strobe at the elbow using the triple clamp. This should allow a good amount of positioning range on the one side. I would not attach the strobe at the same spot as the light, as the rig may feel unbalanced underwater (note I prefer that method with two lights/strobes since it's even). Here's a video on YouTube with some very basic tips:
And not to shake it up, but if you're going out on a photo dive (and not planning much video), consider mounting your strobe on the one arm, mounting one light to the cold shoe on your housing, and leaving the second arm set and light at home. This way you have full range for positioning your strobe plus a focus light in a streamlined setup.

Hope this helps!

Here is my setup with two Big Blue VL4200P and my ow DIY platform. Olympus TG6.

I may also want to get a strobe just for some macro shots. I get really good lighting from the video lights.
Perhaps I could remove the Go Pro and mount my strobe there. Using both at same time if the video lights on low power say at night dives so you can focus still a good idea.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

Hi Daebado - You've got some really nice gear. There's a couple things here.

First, you would want to use either your lights OR video lights, not both at once. So while you can carry all three for photo and video shooting, you wouldn't combine them (yes, exceptions are made at advanced levels). Here's a tutorials video explaining why: Lights vs Strobes; Why You Need Light Underwater.

Thanks Brent,
Yes, I've viewed quite a few of your videos and have learned some good stuff from them! My intention is not to use video lights and strobes at the same time for the most part, although I can already see me experimenting with that concept some from time to time.

The arm segments you use will be determined by balance and where you'll want to position your lighting. With that in mind, most shooters would attach the float arms to the handles (the first segment), then the other arms outside that. Check out the diagrams in this Underwater Strobe Positioning video (21 minutes).

Interesting that you brought that up. I had been concerned about buoyancy but hadn't really given a lot of thought about balance until very recently. I currently have my float arms as the second set connected to the lights (reverse from what you suggested) mainly because I have seen several rigs set up that way in these forums. I just got the float arms and haven't had them in the water yet so this will be something I'll definitely need to try both ways to see what works best for me.

Adding the strobe will also be personal preference. Assuming you will shoot video with dual Big Blue lights, and then stills with the single strobe, like you said, I would attach the strobe at the elbow using the triple clamp. This should allow a good amount of positioning range on the one side. I would not attach the strobe at the same spot as the light, as the rig may feel unbalanced underwater (note I prefer that method with two lights/strobes since it's even).

Yes, this is what I was thinking as well, at least to start out with. Then I can experiment from there.

And not to shake it up, but if you're going out on a photo dive (and not planning much video), consider mounting your strobe on the one arm, mounting one light to the cold shoe on your housing, and leaving the second arm set and light at home. This way you have full range for positioning your strobe plus a focus light in a streamlined setup.

Not a bad idea but it's not for me. I have my gopro mounted on the cold shoe. I started out shooting video and have only recently started shooting stills. Video is and probably always will be a large part of what I shoot. That could change as I get better at shooting stills but only time will tell. You can see my first foray into the world of stills in my gallery:

Albums for user: Daebado | ScubaBoard.

These were all taken with either ambient or video lights. Hoping the strobe will help bring more life to the close-up shots.

Here is my setup with two Big Blue VL4200P and my ow DIY platform. Olympus TG6.

I may also want to get a strobe just for some macro shots. I get really good lighting from the video lights.
Perhaps I could remove the Go Pro and mount my strobe there. Using both at same time if the video lights on low power say at night dives so you can focus still a good idea.

Nice setup! My first several rigs were homemade. The last one used an aluminum tray I made myself and had it anodized black. Looked very professional and I always got a lot of compliments on it but with this new rig, it wasn't stable enough so I bit the bullet and bought a commercial setup. Hated to give up my homemade one, though!

Nice setup! My first several rigs were homemade. The last one used an aluminum tray I made myself and had it anodized black. Looked very professional and I always got a lot of compliments on it but with this new rig, it wasn't stable enough so I bit the bullet and bought a commercial setup. Hated to give up my homemade one, though!

I get good stability from mine. Going from to Go Pro to using the Olympus TG6 was the biggest challenge. Go Pros make great video for longer shots and I use the TG6 for the close up and macro shots.

My tray glides through the water so I can track faster moving marine life... This was one of my first efforts and later on I turned down the sound so you don't hear the zoom in out so much lol. It's one thing to stay in one spot and video a passing animal but in this one I swim about the same speed as the turtle. I'm not looking thru the viewer just have an idea of where my camera should be pointing.

The TG6 is great on both normal and macro video and photos something I could never get with the Go Pro for those tiny tiny critters.

[QUOTE="Daebado, . Hated to give up my homemade one, though![/QUOTE]

I get people asking where I bought my tray as well. The handles unscrew and have the two most common thread sizes at each end so I can use Go Pro fittings or other camera screw fittings. Also they weight nothing. I decided not to use float devices as I like to set the platform down on the sand or dead corals sometimes to get good video. People ask my how is my video so stable and I reply I have the hands of a neurosurgeon.

This first photo I was still able to get very close to a very tiny Hermit crab and use full macro to get the shot natural sunlight. The clown fish was a case of waiting for them to dart in and out and take the photos and had my video lights on low power. I would try to get the camera to focus on the sea anemones at the point the clowns would dart to. Tricky to get so some patience required lots of out of focus shots lol.

I am thinking of a strobe for some of the faster fish shots at a further distance.

A VERY TINY HERMIT CRAB.jpg

CLOWN.jpg

[QUOTE="Daebado, . Hated to give up my homemade one, though!

I get people asking where I bought my tray as well. The handles unscrew and have the two most common thread sizes at each end so I can use Go Pro fittings or other camera screw fittings. Also they weight nothing. I decided not to use float devices as I like to set the platform down on the sand or dead corals sometimes to get good video. People ask my how is my video so stable and I reply I have the hands of a neurosurgeon.

This first photo I was still able to get very close to a very tiny Hermit crab and use full macro to get the shot natural sunlight. The clown fish was a case of waiting for them to dart in and out and take the photos and had my video lights on low power. I would try to get the camera to focus on the sea anemones at the point the clowns would dart to. Tricky to get so some patience required lots of out of focus shots lol.

I am thinking of a strobe for some of the faster fish shots at a further distance.[/QUOTE]

Great shots! Turtle video was nice as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom