2 recent deaths where the snorkelers happened to be wearing full face snorkel masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chavodel8en

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to note that this all speculation. I make no conclusions about this, but just wanted to post this article and let folks draw their own conclusions.

It may be a coincidence -- I mean its even more of a strange coincidence that there 3 snorkeling deaths in the past 2 weeks in Maui, and they ALL were East Bay CA residents.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/drown-snorkeling-death-hawaii-maui-east-bay-12537117.php

So the article states that the 2 earliest deaths involved those new full-face snorkeling masks, and also states that there is speculation - no definitive proof - but speculation that there may be some connection.

FYI, and I reiterate that I make no statement here, I just wanted to post this.

The fact that the three people were from East Bay is weird... but unless there's a Hawaiian conspiracy to eliminate EB residents, it is a coincidence. If you look closely at the demographics of Maui visitors, you'll likely find a disproportionate number of them are from the Bay Area. But it's still a weird coincidence.

As for the newish trend of covering ones face with a piece of plastic with a tube inserted that supposedly provides adequate ventilation... that's the real head-scratcher.

Back
Top Bottom