2 more from the LA oil rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

louisianadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a couple more from the oil rigs off the Louisiana coast. The first is a tessellated blenny, which are common down here but still one of my favorite subjects:
af9bdd30.jpg

And a school of lookdowns. These schools are dazzling, but I've never really been able to do them justice:
af0bcd20.jpg

Clay

Lookdowns are some interesting fish! Very odd looking, but they've been schooling off our beach sites lately. I've enjoyed their presence, but have yet to have a camera around at the right dives. :p

I LOVE Lookdowns. They're so funny. When you're diving with them they are like this shimmering silver curtain - then they all decide to come towards you, make a 90 degree turn and you're all. "hey, where'd they all go?" Then they go all 90 degrees again, and its "oh, there they are..."

I always smile.

---
Ken

SuPrBuGmAn:
Lookdowns are some interesting fish! Very odd looking, but they've been schooling off our beach sites lately. I've enjoyed their presence, but have yet to have a camera around at the right dives. :p

Just remember to take it easy with the strobe, Bugman. It's like taking a picture of a bunch of mirrors. The lookdown shot was taken with a Nik V/15mm, single Ike 200 strobe at 1/4 power--just enough to separate the fish from the background. -Clay

Mo2vation:
I LOVE Lookdowns. They're so funny. When you're diving with them they are like this shimmering silver curtain - then they all decide to come towards you, make a 90 degree turn and you're all. "hey, where'd they all go?" Then they go all 90 degrees again, and its "oh, there they are..."

I always smile.

---
Ken
Exactly right, Ken. They're like Venetian blinds opening and closing. -Clay

Very nice shots!

louisianadiver:
Just remember to take it easy with the strobe, Bugman. It's like taking a picture of a bunch of mirrors. The lookdown shot was taken with a Nik V/15mm, single Ike 200 strobe at 1/4 power--just enough to separate the fish from the background. -Clay

No problem, I don't have a strobe :wink: If I use a flash its the internal, which is already quite weak!

Nice shots. (adding more letters because "nice shot" is too short a message. First time I got that error message. I guess SB wouldn't have liked "Jesus wept." either. :D )

I like how the lookdown shot "feels". The lighting is unique - how far out was your strobe from the camera?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom