2 month (!) trip report! Thanks for the memories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RubberDucky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

Before I get started, I'd like to point out that I shill for no one. In other words, no one has (asked|paid|bribed) me to post this. I am quite possibly doomed to never dive again due to constant ear problems (ear infections, perforated ear drum, and, currently, pressure on the drum which is causing hearing loss and going to possibly require tubes (and that's a best case scenario)), and am most certainly not going to be diving any time soon. I have, however, recently spent 2 months on the island, and have some feedback which may be of use to some.

Recommendation for a dive shop: Sherwood Depot

The dive shop I used from March through April 2009 is the same I used back in December 2007 - January 2008, where I did my very first dives and obtained my Open Water certification. That dive shop is Sherwood Depot. It is run by 2 brothers - Hernan and Carlos. I think Hernan has a partner in the US, but I've only ever dealt with Hernan and Carlos, and a few that work at their shop. I love diving with them for a number of reasons. For one, their boats are smallish, so you're never going to be on a cattle boat with them. I've been on dives with as few as 4 people (several times), and a max of maybe 10. Their boats (the Alba and the Billfisher) both have heads (bathrooms). I've found that the crew is always helpful. Carlos has many, many years of experience and has always provided helpful feedback. I've only dove with Hernan once, as he typically runs the shop while Carlos takes care of the diving, but he was very much the professional just as Carlos always is. I've personally observed, on more than 1 occasion, Hernan picking people up in the morning in his truck and driving them to the caleta (marina). Simply put, these guys know how to take care of their customers. Give them your business and they will take care of you in more ways than one, whether it be on dives or in the store. I came across this shop via a relative, who came across them via a divemaster who lives in the island. They are professionals, by all definitions of the word. Carlos invited me to the cantina with the crew after one particular day of diving, but unfortunately I wasn't feeling too well and decided not to go.

Those guys and their crew are hilarious and do their best to please everyone on board. Dive briefings are always given (as expected), and are very informative. They include the channel on which the boat is operating, hand signals for various ocean life, a discussion on how everyone will ascend (in pairs as necessary, or as a group), and more. Lacking in the gear department, they've often let me use fins and BCDs - at no cost. When I was considering a full length wet suit, or a shorty, or just a vest + hood, they let me try all 3 on different days. And I can't forget to mention that I really, really wanted to do Columbia Deep, and Palancar Bricks, as I'd never dove them before. By the time I left the island, I had done both, courtesy of Sherwood Depot. Both of those sites are fairly long trips, so they're not done as often as some others, but, as I mentioned, if you give these guys your business, they will take care of you.

Recommendation for a dive instructor: Jordan, from bluenote

During the 2 months I recently spent in Coz, I quickly realized that there were 2 things that I wanted, nay, needed to learn. One was how to use a safety sausage, and the other was buoyancy control. I decided that I would do no more recreational diving until I had control of both. The choice of instructor was simple: Jordan from the bluenote dive op. When I landed in Coz on Feb 28, I knew that I would need to do a refresher, as I had been out of the water for 14 months. Not only did PADI state that a refresher was in order, but it was common sense that I should "warm up" before getting back into recreational diving. I wouldn't have felt comfortable otherwise. Where would I turn to for personal training and instruction? The answer was quite simple: Jordan (pronounced Jor-DON).

Speak english, spanish, or french? So does Jordan. I think he even speaks a little german (although not fluently, as far as I know). This guy is also very much a professional, and trained me on the usage of an SMB (safety sausage), as well as the Advanced Open Water course. If there's a certain area of your diving that you'd like to improve upon, such as buoyancy, navigation, or anything else that pertains to diving in a warmer climate, there is much to be learned from Jordan. I trust this man with my life underwater. He is so observant that at times I wondered if he didn't have a rear view mirror built into his mask, or have eyes on his fins. He is also very experienced and ready to tackle any questions I ever had about safety, buoyancy, ocean life, and quite a bit more. The 1 on 1 training dives with Jordan rank up there with some of the best dives I ever had the pleasure of doing. Some dives were done at La Palapita (the refresher course and the night dive for the AOW), while most others were done from the bluenote boat, the El Galeon.

Recommendation for a dentist: Alejandra

Need a teeth cleaning, or a root canal? There is only 1 person I would ever consider, and that's Alejandra: http://cozumel-dentist.com
I had a problem tooth before I went to the island, and intentionally waited until I got there to have it looked at. Just how much do you think you'd pay for a root canal in the states? Having never had one done, I've read estimates, and it wasn't pretty. I paid a grand total of $140, and had a damn near 99.9% pain free root canal done. The only pain experienced was the initial numbing of the gum, and even that wasn't even flinch-worthy. Did I mention that I had a 99.9% pain free root canal done? Alejandra and her 2 orthodontal surgeons would probably tie for World's Greatest "Operation" player (rememeber Operation?). They have the hands of angels.

Alejandra has gone into her office on her day off to accomodate me when I was in pain. She has stopped by my mother's house previously when needed. Not because she _needed_ to, but because she is that devoted to her clientele. The only problem I had, and I wish I had the same problem everywhere I go, is that she's entirely way too funny. Do you know how hard it is to keep your mouth open and still while she's talking? This girl is a riot. As someone who admittedly hadn't been to the dentist in longer than I'd care to admit and was quite nervous on the first visit, I was very, very comfortable with each successive visit. I had a total of perhaps 6 visits (2 for getting a tooth filled, which ultimately didn't work out, so I had 2 more visits for the root canal (1 for the actual root canal, 1 for the cap), and 2 for cleaning and making the mould of the tooth that would get the crown. I was not charged for every single visit, as some are considered followups, or were paid for in advance.

The professionalism and quality of service were easily in line with that of the service you'd get in the states (where I am from), if not greater. And the price? Are you kidding me? I felt so guilty about the cheap cost (which is just the norm for Mexico) that I tried tipping her, which she flat out refused to accept. Alejandra is a true professional. She always took the time necessary to answer any questions I had, to explain everything thoroughly, and made me feel very much at ease. My family goes to her, and I will, without a doubt, go to her in the future when I am on the island.

Recommendation for a taxi driver: Nacho

If I can find the piece of paper where I wrote his number down, I'll post it. His name is Nacho. I took his cab one time, and by the time the journey was over I had been to his house, met his wife, saw the baby chickens in his backyard, and had not 1, but 2 coconuts from the tree in his front yard (which I paid his wife for, despite her attempts to not accept it). And no, I was not charged for going out of the way to his house. I think Nacho and I got along so great because I did my best to speak spanish to him, and he spoke very good english. Funny how in Mexico I ended up speaking spanish to so many natives while they spoke english in return. If anything it was good practice, and reassuring that after all these years, I've still "got it" (somewhat) :) Anyway, Nacho was awesome. I had to go to Chedraui go use the ATM, and a short ride later we're in Juarez at his casa, and I'm ripping my pants open down the crotch while picking coconuts from the tree in his front yard. I found him while randomly wandering around 65. I was going to call him when I needed cab service in the future for diving, but I only ended up ever needing a cab just once more.

In short, I had a wonderful 2 months on the island, in no small part due to the wonderful people I met or ended up seeing again. I love the country, the food, the people, the ocean, the dolphins, the damselfish, the angelfish, the nurse sharks as big as Carlos, all the wonderful people I met while diving (it's true - divers really ARE the nicest people you'll ever meet!), the snorkeling, and even the blue tang that bit me on the finger while snorkeling around the Money Bar (excellent place to snorkel, along with La Palapaita / Villa Blanca). Until next time..

The only thing missing from Cozu l is me!

I really enjoyed reading about your 2 month stay in Cozumel. Thanks for the useful recommendations. Sounds like you went through a bit of problem with your root canal and ears problems. Yet, you're still upbeat and enthusiastic about your stay. Good for you! I hope you do get to dive again. I like your last line too!!

Lucky you to spent 2 months!! Sounds like you had a great time.
I have to agree on Alejandra. We have been to her several times and just love the quality of care.

Man, two months would be incredible. Good thing for me, my wife is a teacher and I am working on my teaching certificate, so hopefully soon I too can spend a month or two on the Island. Sounds like you had a great time!!!

Nice words about Hernan and Carlos I dive with them also could not have said it better.
I know the shop is Sherwood Depot. However the dive operation is The Reef Divers same phone number same people.
Did Carlos show you a sea horse? He can't seem to find them when I go with him. I always give him a hard time about it.
Sorry about your ears hope you can recover somehow and get back in the water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom