2 divers 4 snorkelers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sask

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We will be in Bonaire for two weeks Feb 3 and have two divers and four snorkelers. What sites would you recommend that all six could enjoy?

1000 steps and Salt pier are the two you're probably going to hear a lot. Salt pier has just a little bit of a current, so my wife and I put in a quarter mile or so south of SP and drifted up in the shallows (She's a snorkeler, I'm a diver) she's a new snorkeler, so I wanted her to see a lot of cool things. So on that dive, she got to see a lot, 4 turtles, 3 of whom let her within petting distance, squid, and more.

Hit cliff at night for the tarpon.

Bari Reef, near the rubble, Salt Pier, in the shallows, and nearly anywhere near the shore, waves/surge permitting.

I think Oil Slick Leap is a great dive for a combined group of divers and snorkelers. The reef drop off is super close to shore and begins in around 20 feet or so. Plus the rubble and patch reef prior to the drop off has lots of life. Another nice spot for the entire group is Karpata. Lots of life and corals in the 20-30 foot range with big Elkhorn corals. 1,000 Steps has nice and large stag horn corals in the 15 foot range. The Andrea 1 and 2 dive sites also provide nice snorkeling, where turtles are a likely encounter in the shallows. With the exception of Salt Pier, I think most of the northern sites (north of downtown) are much more snorkeling friendly than the southern dive sites. Top of the reef walls tend to be shallower and closer to shore at the northern sites. Speaking generally of course, there are always exceptions.

just tell them not to touch the brown stuff at Salt Pier - it could be fire coral. Gloves are not allowed

I'm not a snorkeler but enjoyed it in the rubble at Bari Reef also.

The infobonaire map lists all the sites where both are good. Bonaire Dive & Snorkel Sites

Bari Reef, near the rubble, Salt Pier, in the shallows, and nearly anywhere near the shore, waves/surge permitting.
We are staying at Den Laman and stayed at Sand Dollar 9 years ago with just divers. One site I did know would also be good for snorkelers and one of the reason we chose here to stay. I wished I would have thought about snorkel sites when I was there last time but I didn't all they recommendations are very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom