2 days in Bunaken worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

We were wondering if going to Bunaken for < 48hrs would be worthwhile stop over on our way to Raja Ampat liveaboard in early December. Or should we just stay in Manado.

The liveaboard people are worried about weather and ferry may not making it back in time for our flight out to Sorong.

Thanks,
flee

Stay at kima bajo or cocotinos, both close to airport and 30 mins boat ride to bunaken. Closer to both the airport and bunaken than manado is. They do 2 dives in the morning on bunaken and afternoons on the mainland.

Nothing much to do in Manado City. Go diving somewhere.

you can go dive Bunaken or you can go to Lembeh.
Many people like to do Raja Ampat and Lembeh on the way back.

Some people like to go to the Tangkoko Nature Reserve the afternoon before their departure flight and do dusk and dawn forest walks. You can stay at low cost homestays with a family just outside the park entrance.

The park is closer to Lembeh (and the town of Bitung) and you can go from park straight to the airport if you arrange private transport,. The Tangkoko Nature Reserve in North Sulawesi

Your dive operator can help you make plans for that.

Do night dives at Lembeh if you can, great fun.

Be sure to ask what your departure tax is when you arrive at Manado. When you depart you pay the departure tax in Indonesia currency at counter just before you go upstairs after checking in downstairs. It's under ten dollars US but payable in Indonesian rupiah.

I got back about about 5 weeks ago and I thought it was $US25 in Indo currency.

Yep, from Manado its 100,000 IDR. For what it's worth there is no cattle rope and you're not directed to this area so it can be easy to miss. As AW said it's at the counter just before you go upstairs. If I recall, its almost directly across the checkin lines from Garuda Airlines.

Thanks for the info, I think we will be staying at Cocotinos. Hopefully when we get back, I will be writing glowing review of the resort.

Does anyone know which ships leave Bitung to go to Sorong in November 2009? Also any idea how long this would take?

Martin

Back
Top Bottom