2 cylinders in one stab-jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am familiar with the old type of 2-cylinder aqualung with a plain strap harness like a flamethrower's: see File:Aqualung old type.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

I am familiar with the modern type of stab jacket with a strap with clamp to hold one big modern cylinder.

But please where is a good image of an air scuba with two cylinders in one stab jacket so I can see how its parts are arranged?
I don't know of any true stab jackets that are designed for use with double cylinders. There are recreational soft pack BCD's that will work with doubles (Dive Rite TransPac, ScubaPro KnightHawk, Zeagle Ranger, Apeks WTX, etc.) but they are all back-inflate systems, not stab jackets. Hard back plates with back inflation wings are generally the better solution for doubles, even if you're carrying small ones.

You need to google "backplate and wing" and then click on images. That will show you the modern way of approaching it.

R..

I used to dive a Scubapro Double Black with double 80's. The Hard pack has two vertical holes with a stainless steel through fitting about 5 to 6 inches apart. I would bolt the doubles on using stainless steel bolts and wing nuts. Worked well in the early 70's and 80's. Nowadays I would highly recommend BP&W for better underwater stability.

The Oceanic jacket BCDs like the Chute and Probe used to have an optional hardware bracket you could attach to their plastic "tank cradle" (for lack of a better term) on the back of the BC in order to have a place to attach the doubles bolts to.

Honestly, if you are looking a doubles you'd be better off to stay far, far away from that kind of gimmickry and just get a backplate and wing that will do singles or doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom