2-26650 in place of 3-C Batteries for DRIS 1000 light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I did a quick search and could not find an answer to this. I recently bought two DRIS 1000 dive light when they were on sale last week. I also happen to mistakenly receive 4 soshine 26650 rechargeable batteries for free (order mixup) from an ebay order.

While the DRIS 1000 dive light uses 3 c batteries, it does fit two 26650 batteries. I would like to know if there would be any adverse effects of using two 26650 in this dive light instead of standard three c batteries. Would it shorten the led life? Would it change runtime? Could it overheat? I honestly do know much about batteries.

I really had no plans for these 26650 but if I can use them in the DRIS 1000 dive light that would be great (granted I will need to buy a charger for them).

Dubious

Two 26650 supplies 9+ volts, versus three c-cells which provide less than half that. Unless the light has very good over-voltage protection, it will burn out quickly. It is like plugging a 110v appliance into a 220v outlet; not usually going to go well.

Generally 3xNiMh = 1 Li-on. Some small lights come with a 3xNiMh adapter or can run off a single 18650.
You could rig up a dummy pass through cell if you can get the sizes to fit corrently. The 3C will have more capacity/run time than the 26650. The 26650 .....may.....be a tad brighter longer.

Two 26650 supplies 9+ volts, versus three c-cells which provide less than half that. Unless the light has very good over-voltage protection, it will burn out quickly. It is like plugging a 110v appliance into a 220v outlet; not usually going to go well.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

We once needed a pass through for a c-cell. A wooden dowel of the right dia and length, with a conductive screw in each end and a wire connecting them worked well.

26650 minimal operating voltage is 3.7V. two in series is 7.4V. 3xC in series is 4.5V. the issue isn't with the LED itself but the driver/relating circuit. There are plenty of drivers out there operate between 3V or so all the way up to 12V. But Unfortunately, there is no way to tell the driver's operation range for that particular light.

Dris1000 appearantly is made by a Chinese company called Brinyte. You may want to check their website for spec.

Not necessary an issue. Plenty of appliance can take both 110V and 220V. It all depends the power supply design inside the appliances

Thanks. I have been trying to find out more info. Dris website has very little information.

Not necessary an issue. Plenty of appliance can take both 110V and 220V. It all depends the power supply design inside the appliances
Of course. That's my point in post #2: "Unless the light has very good over-voltage protection, it will burn out quickly."

And there are plenty of 110v appliances that cannot take both voltages. More to the point, do you think his light can manage double the voltage?

I can pretty much guarantee you a 3C light will not take 2 Li-on. They simply would not have put a suitable driver in it for that.

Back
Top Bottom