1st time in Cali, September '09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wershwie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all!

I'm flying to California for the 1st time in September, and I'm definitely gonna hit Monterey for some diving :D I was hoping I could get tips from you guys.

The coldest I've gone diving is at 77F, and it's usually the initial entry into the water that gets me cold. Otherwise, I'm okay for around 40minutes in a 3mm full wetsuit with a rash guard, gloves, and a hood (as thin as a rash guard).

Since Monterey's gonna be cold, I'm thinking I should just rent my wetsuit/hood/gloves/weights plus of course the tank there. Thinking of bringing along everything else with me (bp+wing, reg, mask, fins). Think that's a sound decision? Yes, I'd like to save as much money I have since I already have my own gear anyway. :p

I'm pretty much an experienced diver in the Philippines, used to currents, swells, good viz, bad viz, etc, but I'd like to take it slow with my first cold water and kelp diving experience so I can thoroughly enjoy it :D I'm thinking maybe 2-3 days max with 2-3 dives per day.

Do you have any tips regarding dive shops, dive sites, and other things to do topside? :) I'm also looking to find a cheap place to stay in, maybe a single room or even just a backpacker's dorm.

Hope to hear from you guys!

Hey wershie,
I think you'll love the California Dive experience. I certed in Anilao in '01 and actively dive Monterey when I can. My instructor back in Manila still thinks I'm crazy.

As far as gear don't worry too much about bringing much... We can scrounge up almost everything except for exposure protection probably... that you might have to rent. I see that you dove with the Floro brothers so I'm sure we're on the same page. I have a spare BP&W and long hose regs ready to go.

Ben

Eya, Ben!

Great to hear from you here :) Thanks for the offer, that'd be great! I've got a few more months to iron out details of my trip. Will definitely hit you with questions soon. I'm a GUE diver, too! Hope to meet others when I get there :)

Weehaw!

Dhammer - Thanks for the reco, but I think I'd rather spend more of my moolah with diving than my sleeping area :) I'm currently looking at HI Monterey, which is more of a backpacker's place. I just need a bed, anyway, really. :D

Ben_ca - I DO! Haha... Right now I'm looking at spending 3 nights in Monterey with 2 full days of diving (or maybe 2 and a half! haha) . I'll be driving in by September 21 and maybe driving back down to LA on the 24th.

Meet and greet, anyone? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom