1st time diving after barotrauma- nervous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LucidKid

Registered
Reaction score
This saturday I plan to dive for the first time in 3 months. I suffered a barotrauma 3 months ago while freediving and have not been down since. I'm a little nervous about it still being messed up or somthing and injuring myself again. I will be freediving. How should I approach this safely? I plan on taking Nasocourt spray 3 days before the diving day to clear my sinuses. Is there any other ways to "open up the eustachian tubes so that equalization will be very smooth and easy. b/c i know that after not diving for a long time they get sort of "closed up".

clgsamson:
sudafed at least 30 mins. before you submerged.
You can't be serious about this...

Nasacort three days prior to diving is likely to be insufficient. Nasacort is a topical steroid, and usually needs at LEAST a week to really start making a substantial impact on reducing swelling around Eustachian tube orifices, etc. Sure, you may get lucky, but if you're only using it for three days, you may as well not even bother.

Of course, by now, you've made your dives & you can let us know how it went.

Jim

Just to add to the excitement, here's what DAN has to say about Sudafed (or others with the active ingredient pseudoephedrine):

"What's the bottom line? In normal, healthy divers breathing air, occasional use of pseudoephedrine at the recommended dose is probably safe. This presumes that the drug has been taken during periods when no diving has occurred and that no undesirable reactions have occurred. However, one should avoid chronic (daily) use when diving, and it seems reasonable to avoid the drug entirely if diving while using oxygen-nitrogen mixes where the PO2 during a dive might exceed 1.4 ata, the current recommended "safe" open-circuit scuba limit."

LucidKid:
This saturday I plan to dive for the first time in 3 months. I suffered a barotrauma 3 months ago while freediving and have not been down since. I'm a little nervous about it still being messed up or somthing and injuring myself again. I will be freediving. How should I approach this safely? I plan on taking Nasocourt spray 3 days before the diving day to clear my sinuses. Is there any other ways to "open up the eustachian tubes so that equalization will be very smooth and easy. b/c i know that after not diving for a long time they get sort of "closed up".

So how did it go? First time in 3 months - did you have any problems?

LucidKid:
This saturday I plan to dive for the first time in 3 months. I suffered a barotrauma 3 months ago while freediving ...

Glad you are getting back in the water. I hope your trip is (was) a good one. Spear one for me, OK.

I think your squeeze should give you all the reason to be cautious that you need. Nothing I say could be of value. Have a good time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom