1st Time Boat Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HiterSixOne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
November will mark the 3rd time to Cozumel for me. This however will be the first time diving as a newly certified diver.

I have plans to dive most days, however our resort, Sunscape Sabor, is only boat diving, no shore, from what I've been told by those who recently have been to the same resort.

I have several new pieces of equipment (BCD, WETSUIT, COMPUTER, MASKS, FINS, SMB) which I have buoyancy checked in local pools and lakes (freshwater). I spoke with my instructor and dive shop who agree that 4 to 5 pounds additional weight (10 lbs freshwater) will be necessary from their experience in this region.

I'm not nervous about the dive, but ruining or delaying other divers dive, for me to correct my buoyancy on the first boat outing. Perhaps I am naive to the process, as obviously I'm not the first one to have experienced this situation.

Any tips from those who have been through this process of a first time boat dive to the Cozumel area? Other than the buoyancy check portion what are some other "wish I knew that" things for boat diving for beginners?

Your responses are valued. Thank you.

I think you are on the right track. I can't offer much insight into Cozumel specifically, but I do a lot of salt water boat dives.

Assuming all other gear is the same, you are probably about right with 4-5 extra lbs for saltwater. Need to also account for AL vs. Steel tanks in either scenario as that will change things. For weighting, I might suggest adding a little more on that first dive, then see what happens at the safety stop. Get neutral and feel your BC bladder. If it's nearly empty, you don't need to change anything. If it's fairly full, you could try with a little less weight on the next dive. Don't remove too much as it's always better to have a bit too much weight than too little.

Bring a DSMB and sound making device at a minimum and be familiar with them. In the event you come up away from the group and boat, this will help. But, it sounds like these will be guided dives, so as long as you stick with the group/guide you should have no trouble.

Boarding the boat after the dive can be a challenge and could vary depending on the type of boat. Larger boats typically have the divers climb up the ladder with gear, though usually without fins. Stay well clear of the diver ahead of you. If they were to fall back in the water, you don't want to be right behind them. Just hang onto the tagline and wait your turn. If there are significant waves, use them to help you get up. Pause when in the trough and step up when in the crest until you are mostly clear of the water.

If you’re taking any of your own gear, take a mesh bag to haul your gear. The big bag you will use for air travel is too big and bulky for the boat.

A whole lot will depend on your personal body physiology. A lean, muscular person will need less weight than a larger, "fluffy" bodied person. I fit more into the second category. I normally use 6 lbs of weight in fresh water wearing a 1mm skin. On our recent trip to Coz with the Scubaboard invasion, using the same kit as in fresh water, I started the week using 16 lbs, which is what I used in Roatan last year, and was perfect at the beginning of the dive in Coz but I was having a little trouble holding my SS at the end. I added 1 lb after the second day, which was better but not perfect. The last day of diving I used 18 lbs, which was the best all around weight.

If your resort has shore diving and you have a chance to do a checkout dive, that is the easiest way to get your weighting right at the beginning of your stay. If not, then Belzubub's suggestion to be a little heavy on the first dive is sound advise. But for the 1st time boat diving, it is a best guess scenario until you actually do the first dive and will probably change from location to location.

As others have suggested, it is better to be a little heavy by a couple pounds than light. Much easier to drop some lead after a dive than struggle with the safety stop.

If it is an on-site dive shop at the resort, talk to the dive masters and instructors at the shop. Tell them your situation and ask for advice. Same when you get on the boat, talk to the dive leaders. Do make sure you aren't interfering with doing their jobs, but a friendly question if they aren't actively doing anything is a great way to get answers.

If you’re taking any of your own gear, take a mesh bag to haul your gear. The big bag you will use for air travel is too big and bulky for the boat.
Yeah, this is a real good point. Space on boats is limited, so try to have your gear be as compact as possible. You don't want to be all over the place and in the way of the other divers.

I'm not nervous about the dive, but ruining or delaying other divers dive, for me to correct my buoyancy on the first boat outing. Perhaps I am naive to the process, as obviously I'm not the first one to have experienced this situation.

Any tips from those who have been through this process of a first time boat dive to the Cozumel area? Other than the buoyancy check portion what are some other "wish I knew that" things for boat diving for beginners?

Your responses are valued. Thank you.

Add the extra weight and dive. Next dive, jettison a few pounds till you find your sweet spot.

When I dive somewhere new, I ask what time the boat moves.
I then get there a solid hour earlier and ask about setup.
Some dive centers require you to assemble and don you gear at the center, then make your way to the boat.
So you leave behind your dive bag.
Other dive centers let you take all your gear on the boat.

In both cases, assemble your gear much beforehand so that you can relax the 30 minutes before departure.

I also dislike hurrying myself.

Conversion to salt water is roughly 2.5 pounds additional to freshwater weighting per 100 pounds total dry weight of diver and gear for exact same setup.

Hi @HiterSixOne

Are you using the on-site operator, Dive House, or another? I see Salty Endeavors has a package with Sunscape Sabor. Contacting your operator ahead of time will allow you to confirm the cylinder you will be using, very likely AL80. You didn't say what cylinder(s) you used in fresh water. You also did not mention the exposure protection you wear at home vs. what you will use in Cozumel. Contacting your operator might also allow you to find out how they handle equipment on and off the boat. Much of this information may also be available on their website.

As above, get there early, especially on the first day, to learn the routine. Make sure you are fully prepared to dive early, more relaxing for you and not annoying to others

Fine tune your weighting at your safety stop with your cylinder near the stop pressure (around 500 psi) Empty your BC and see how you do. You should be easily hold your stop and make a slow, controlled ascent to the surface. If you sink, remove a little weight at a time. If you float, add a little weight. After a few dives, you will be perfect with the gear you are using. Record this information in your log, for future use.

Back
Top Bottom