1st. Stage Regulator/s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ORANGE BLUE RESCUE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ignorant question here :

Are the 1st. stage regulators used on the rebreather systems o2 & diluent tanks the same as scuba 1st. stage regulators ?

Told you, ignorant question !!

@ORANGE BLUE RESCUE
sort of.
They are all mostly standard first stages however some may have different things done to them. If the unit is a manual unit running a constant flow orifice, the regulator will start life as a sealed diaphragm unit and have the silicone transmitter replaced with a piece of plastic to no longer allow it to be depth compensating and maintain a fixed IP. It is standard otherwise, and this is a non-permanent modification.
Some units like the CCR Liberty have a replacement swivel turret for the Apeks DST first stage that they use to allow different hose routing, but it can be used for OC with no problems.
Many just use standard first stages

So the regulators used on the rebreathers, CCR etc,etc, have the same pressure setting as the s c u b a regulators, in fact are the same died in the wool regulators, the mean color green is a novelty ?

@ORANGE BLUE RESCUE they may have their IP adjusted, but not outside of the ranges of normal scuba regulators. Oxygen regulators are often detuned anyway, but only from say 135psi IP down to 90-120psi depending on the diver, but nothing that can't be changed back.

Green plastic bits are available for a lot of "normal" oxygen regulators, and CCR mfg's don't really charge any more for regulators than any other dealer.
The only weird thing you may see, especially on the O2 side is an OPV put into one of the low pressure ports which is required in case of a first stage failure.

O2ptima uses standard Dive Rite XT first stages
Revo comes with standard Apeks DS4 first stages though the blanking plug can be added to any Apeks sealed first stage for less than $20. Prices for these are the same as any other Apeks first stage.
Poseidon uses standard MK3 first stages, again same price as normal
ISC uses standard Apeks first stages
KISS uses standard Apeks first stages *again with the blanking plug and OPV*

why do you ask?

Last edited:
I will tell you T' Bone !

I have for more than 2 decades studied the rebreather systems that are in the world today.

It is just plain stupid of me that I never asked that super important question about the regulators that are used on those tank systems that are used for the rebreather/s.

I am now planning to build my own rebreather, a super CCR (got to be big shot of course ) rebreather.

I am a machinist of sorts and I would like to see the extra quality o rings that are used in the 100% o2 oxygen regulators, to cut extra grooves on that regulator part is so simple anyone could do that work blind folded !

Yea, its time to finish the projects I have filed away,
Problem is I plain have way to many of those projects to complete.

This one is special though.

I am ( this year ) marketing a new line of mini submarines, wet & dry.

So am going the full route , along with the super rebreather !!

I must say that the system I have in mind Is very different than the ones on the Shelf.

There are no lungs.

Any schematics on the extra o rings that are said to be on 100%/o2 regulators ?

Where do they go on the basic regulator to upgrade that system part with additional o rings ?

There is also some info on the net about some other additional things that are done to 100%/o2 regulators , not much detail though.

I know how to run a metal lathe , so I thought it would be simple to machine the extra required operations into the regular regulater ??

@ORANGE BLUE RESCUE
sort of.
They are all mostly standard first stages however some may have different things done to them. If the unit is a manual unit running a constant flow orifice, the regulator will start life as a sealed diaphragm unit and have the silicone transmitter replaced with a piece of plastic to no longer allow it to be depth compensating and maintain a fixed IP. It is standard otherwise, and this is a non-permanent modification.
Some units like the CCR Liberty have a replacement swivel turret for the Apeks DST first stage that they use to allow different hose routing, but it can be used for OC with no problems.
Many just use standard first stages

@ORANGE BLUE RESCUE there are no additional o-rings for oxygen regulators....

random example
the two first stages in are 100% identical
DGX Custom - EZ-ON Inflation Regulator System
DGX O2 Deco Regulator Package

most first stages being sold now are compatible with O2 right out of the box.... The only thing that MAY have to be done, is if the regulator was build with non-o2 compatible parts, the lube and o-rings have to be changed to o2 compatible materials. I'd recommend taking a repair course to learn how to do that. IF the regulator is to be used with a constant flow orifice, then it needs to be capped, but that is replacing a silicone diaphragm with a plastic one. No extra o-rings....

I do have to ask, what is your background with rebreathers that leads you to believe you can build one superior to what is out there? More importantly, how are you physically going to create one without a counterlung which is a critical component of the breathing loop

The OPV is a best practice for any first stage that has no second stage connected.
This is because when you are at depth your IP is 'above' ambient. I.e. if you ip is set to 10 bar, when you dive to 50 meters, the absolute pressure in the LP hoses is 16 bar. When you ascend, if there is no demand on your first stage, the gas would not vent and the IP would creep above the set value (in this example 10). If there is a second stage, it would leak and make the pressure decrease to whatever it can stand. The inability to vent stands true for suit inflation, for diluent with no second stage and oxygen. In the first two situations you would not need diluent on ascend and you will not inflate the suit on ascend so an OPV would be good.
But an OPV is critical on oxygen because if the IP creeps up, it might lock the solenoid shut and ascending you would really present the risk for an hipoxic loop. So if the mantra goes always know your ppO2, it is more critical in this phase of the dive.
Most of the educated readers will realise that ascending requires oxygen and so the risk of creeping IP should be low and this is true except for the rec people, with no deco load who lower setpoint at the start of ascend. This would ensure that the solenoid does not initially fire, the IP creeps up and when the solenoid attempt to fire is locked and the loop goes hipoxic.

I think.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom