1st Stage Diaphragm: Replace or Re-Use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeadTurn_SD

Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious what other DIY'ers do with their diaphragm 1st's. Do you routinely replace the diaphragm when you service the 1st stage, or inspect and re-use?

I currently own several diaphragms 1st stages from two companies with opposing instructions in their repair manuals:

1.) Mares: Inspect for tears, cracks or brittleness, if "ok" then re-use the diaphragm.

2.) Zeagle: The diaphragm must be replaced any time it is removed. Zeagle states that this applies to all diaphragm 1st stages, not just Zeagle's. They state that "A used diaphragm may come loose during use, causing severe regulator malfunction... Failure to heed this warning may result in serious injury or death."

So, is it ok to re-use, or will death and dismemberment result :wink:

Best wishes.

funny Zeagle says that as they don't put it in their rebuild kit as its a separate item you must buy if you want it replaced.

I removed mine just the other day for the hell of it... put it back and its still working fine. It easily unscrews by hand on the F7. Maybe I'm gonna die.

skankpile,

I think you are right. The most recent Zeagle rebuild kit I received does not have the diaphragm; a couple kits I ordered 2-3 years ago did.

I don't have a Flathead 7 manual, just the 2004 edition of the Flathead VI manual. Maybe they changed their position (or like you say, just want to sell it separately :wink: ).

Best wishes.

Edit: Ooops, I see you said "unscrews by hand". Are you referring to the environmental seal, and not the main diaphragm (needs a hook spanner and often clamped in a vice to loosen)? The environmental seal/diaphragm is for sure not replaced at annual, thus not in the kit... but the main diaphragm is replaced, and should be in the kit :idk:

I don't dive a diaphragm reg, but I can testify that under static (storage) conditions, it can last forever.

I have an AL Supra/Cousteau, a backup of backup of backup last serviced somewhere in the 90's. I keep telling myself I should do something, but everytime I dig it out, the IP is perfect, on specs, stable and no creep. So back to the closet it goes...

LeadTurn_ [U:
Edit[/U]: Ooops, I see you said "unscrews by hand". Are you referring to the environmental seal, and not the main diaphragm (needs a hook spanner and often clamped in a vice to loosen)?QUOTE]

That's what it sounds like to me. I have some old rebuild kits with the diapragms, but am still waiting for the IP to creep on my first '06 Zeagle regulator. The diaphragm on Zeagle first stages is crimped on the top and bottom and the crimps are not equidistant from the edge of the slightly irregularly shaped, smallish, diaphragm so trying to replace it with the crimps lining up seems almost impossible. The upside is that it seems really secure. I'm going to take Zeagle's advice re Zeagle regulaters and replace the diaphragm every time I open the first stage.

I usually reuse them unless they look bad. If anything, a NEW on is likely to cause issues. There was a discussion on another board (vintage one) about replacing the diaphram and how to set the IP. In short, since the diaphram will take a set after a short time changing the IP so, the IP should be set and then put aside for a few days until it takes more of it's final set, then reset to it's final value. So far I have had no problems reusing diaphrams......including Zeagle ones. :)

So far I have had no problems reusing diaphrams......including Zeagle ones. :)

Apeks Zeagle or Zeagle Zeagle. I don't know anything about the former.

Apeks Zeagle or Zeagle Zeagle. I don't know anything about the former.

There is a difference???? ( :wink: ). They do seem share enough common "DNA" that I'd be surprised if there was much difference in diaphragm "issues".

I believe current "Apeks Apeks" says to change the diaphragm too.

Not sure about other brands.

Best wishes.

On the Scubapro MK17, the service kit includes the diaphragm.
On some rebuilds I re-used the old diaphragm, while other times I don't.
If I am breaking down the reg just to do a cleaning I don't replace it.

Jim Breslin

On the Scubapro MK17, the service kit includes the diaphragm.
On some rebuilds I re-used the old diaphragm, while other times I don't.
If I am breaking down the reg just to do a cleaning I don't replace it.

Jim Breslin

Thanks Jim (looks like I've exceeded my "Thank you" quota for the day :idk: ).

Guess I'll be leaving thanks the "old school" way :D

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom