1st Fun Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,

I’m happy to have found this forum as I am a new diver, recently got my Open Water Certification. I will be going a group tomorrow in Lombok, Indonesia for 2 fun dives and have a question.

1- During my certification dives, the last one specifically, we were about 18 meters in depth and I was the first to run low on air, which made everyone else ascend at around 35 mins. My instructor discussed with me that I must have larger lungs, along with needing to learn better breathing techniques. He recommended staying in shallower depths of around 10-12 meters which would allow more time below. My dive buddy tomorrow is my wife, so if going with a diving company, should we stick to a shallower depth?

I just don’t want to impact other divers time due to my running out of air faster.

Thanks,

1- During my certification dives, the last one specifically, we were about 18 meters in depth and I was the first to run low on air, which made everyone else ascend at around 35 mins. My instructor discussed with me that I must have larger lungs, along with needing to learn better breathing techniques. He recommended staying in shallower depths of around 10-12 meters which would allow more time below. My dive buddy tomorrow is my wife, so if going with a diving company, should we stick to a shallower depth?
This is quite common among new divers. It will get better with time. There are a few things that can help, but don't expect any miracles for your upcoming dive.

Go slow. For a fun dive, no need to rush with aggressive finning. That will only consume more air.
Breathe normally. Most new divers are breathing too quickly. Try to consciously slow down a bit.
Make sure you are weighted properly. Most new divers are overweighted, as it's easier that way for instructors. Using more weight means needing to add more air to the BC.
Don't make big adjustments to the air in your BC. Do small adjustments and allow buoyancy to stabilize, otherwise you'll be adding and dumping constantly.
Being a little shallower will help. You don't need to be buried in the sand. A little up in the water column will reduce the amount of gas used, and you'll be unlikely to miss anything.

You may also want to inquire with the dive op if they offer any larger tanks. Not sure if this is an option at all. If it is, it will likely change your weighting needs.

Hello everyone,

I’m happy to have found this forum as I am a new diver, recently got my Open Water Certification. I will be going a group tomorrow in Lombok, Indonesia for 2 fun dives and have a question.

I just don’t want to impact other divers time due to my running out of air faster.

Thanks,
New divers have a tendency to use air faster as they are usually excited and playing around with their BCDs trying to sort out buoyancy. @Belzelbub has some good advice to follow. Don’t stress about it, just have fun and give us a trip report about your adventure if you get a chance. Be safe.

Don't stress so much about how fast you are using air. The more you worry about it, the faster you will use it. The key is to be calm and relaxed. All the other advice you will get is good and will help too, as long as you apply it in a calm an relaxed manner (otherwise the advice just adds things to stress about and makes things worse).

As the poster above stated, just relax. If you actively focus on slowing your breath down, you'll be more aware of your intake as well as your lungs effect on your buoyancy.

Most important of all though, just have fun. We've all been the new diver!

Make it clear to the dive op that you are a new diver, if they don't know already, and they should be keeping an eye on you.

Quite possibly other experienced divers will continue the dive when you and your buddy surface safely.

Enjoy your dives.

Make it clear to the dive op that you are a new diver, if they don't know already, and they should be keeping an eye on you.

Quite possibly other experienced divers will continue the dive when you and your buddy surface safely.

Enjoy your dives.
Being the newbie in a group dive where all stay together and your needing to surface affects all others that dive, can be tough.
When you can, book a dive that’s staying at the same spot, same boat. Ask the captain or DM to help find a compatible buddy, preferably one with similar air burn rate. Then you’ll be free to do “your” dive, and give the thumbs-up without stress or misplaced guilt.
And it will get better, after a while your limiting factor will be nitrogen absorption ticks on your computer rather than your air use rate . Then you will have “arrived”.

Best wishes and safe diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom