1st (first) stage Metal filter cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phgachoud

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks!

What about 1st (first) stage Metal filter cleaning

I heard the ideal would be to change them, but what about cleaning?

And if you dont have any other solution, in the mean time your new one is on its way, how would you clean them?

Thx

1634119368488.jpeg

All my kits come with new ones, but 50/50 vinegar water should be fine for 5-10 min.

Ultrasonic cleaner if you want to get fancy.

in the mean time your new one is on its way

I'd wait for the new one to arrive and wouldn't mess with trying to clean an old one at all. In fact, if I had to change a filter because it appears to have any type of residue, I'd service the entire first stage and clean it properly and replace all parts that are replaced in service per mfg. requirements.

First a good soak in a warm detergent to get the old silicone grease and human skin out of it, then a acidic solution in a ultrasonic cleaner.
The time you put in it is not worth the 5 euros it costs to get a new one that definitely works.

You can clean them easily if needed, meaning if you don't have a replacement for whatever reason. I just put them in the ultrasound for a few minutes then rinse thoroughly and blow some dry air through them. If you don't have an ultrasound, just use vinegar and water as suggested, let them soak for 5-10 minutes, then rinse with clean running water and dry. You can use a toothbrush to help things along if you need to.

Occasionally I've found one that is really corroded, and those you can't do anything about. But mostly they just get a bit of surface verdigris, and that's easy to get rid of.

First a good soak in a warm detergent to get the old silicone grease and human skin out of it, then a acidic solution in a ultrasonic cleaner.
The time you put in it is not worth the 5 euros it costs to get a new one that definitely works.
It is not the cost, sourcing them can be the problem.

I put a few five Euros together and bought a house

Strong vinegar will turn the bronze sintered black

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom