1st Dives With The Traveller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Greetings,

So in I went for 2 dives in 32 / 0 degree water, against a steady, 2 knot. current - what a blast! These scooters are definitely a fun ride! This river I have searched many, many times, yet the scooter gave me a whole new perspective on the bottom topography. My first dive was about :90, typical for this dive plan, but I got considerably colder than usual, as I wasn't doing much work! A few more layers will fix that.

Attempted to blow away sand only once and found that I'll need to think through some rigging to allow me to remain stationary, as the thrust was pushing me up / back.

Using 12Ah batteries, I found the scooter trim to be slightly negative, which was perfect. I did find the scooter would occasionally stop, and a line of dashes would march along the bottom of the view-screen for a few seconds, then the battery life symbol would appear and I could motor-on once again. This would occur at speeds of 4 & up to 6 and I assumed the combination of current speed & diver drag would cause the motor to get too hot, resulting in a temporary shutdown - is that assumption correct?

DSD

...Using 12Ah batteries, I found the scooter trim to be slightly negative, which was perfect. I did find the scooter would occasionally stop, and a line of dashes would march along the bottom of the view-screen for a few seconds, then the battery life symbol would appear and I could motor-on once again. This would occur at speeds of 4 & up to 6 and I assumed the combination of current speed & diver drag would cause the motor to get too hot, resulting in a temporary shutdown - is that assumption correct?
In salt water with the travel tube and 12 AH batteries, you can get it pretty much neutral buoyant removing both nose plates and adding a big bolt snap on the nose

As far as occasionally stopping, I think it is due to relaxing your trigger thumb. After cruising along for a bit, I think I just took it for granted how easy the Blacktip is to drive, relaxed my grip enough and stopped. Double click again and you'll start right up, so I don't think it's a motor heat issue

In salt water with the travel tube and 12 AH batteries, you can get it pretty much neutral buoyant removing both nose plates and adding a big bolt snap on the nose

As far as occasionally stopping, I think it is due to relaxing your trigger thumb. After cruising along for a bit, I think I just took it for granted how easy the Blacktip is to drive, relaxed my grip enough and stopped. Double click again and you'll start right up, so I don't think it's a motor heat issue

Thanks Geoff. I suspected I might be coming off the switch, as my thumb was getting pretty numb from the cold!

DSD

This happens to me too and I really don't think it is from me relaxing and letting the trigger come off the stop. I keep it pegged and have had it happen when I was paying attention. It worries me a little.

This happens to me too and I really don't think it is from me relaxing and letting the trigger come off the stop. I keep it pegged and have had it happen when I was paying attention. It worries me a little.

Hmmm, it worries me a little that you're worried a little! Makes me wonder if other Travel Scooter owners are experiencing the same issue.

DSD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom