1st crack at underwater photog -- comments pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swordfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone, I just came from a liveaboard trip to Tubbataha, one of the best diving sites we have here in the Philippines. I also brought my underwater camera (5050z inside PT-015 housing; no strobes yet) with me and this is my first crack at underwater photography. Most of the shots were macro, with some post-processing.

You can find the pictures at www.pbase.com/naquino/tubbataha Comments are highly appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,
Swordfish/Norman

You got some very nice shots, especially with no strobe and for your first time out. I liked the Turtle shots and the colors of some of the corals. I have the same rig and added the Sea & Sea strobe. I'm thinking about a WAL next.

Do I understand that you kept the camera in "macro" mode for all of the shots, even the landscape shots?

Thanks TedJ

These are quite nice, particularly for your first attempt.

One of the challenges when shooting digital is to avoid burning out the highlights. I assume you were using the on-camera flash. Marine life often has shiny surfaces which reflect your flash right back. A digital camera has no exposure latititude in the highlights, so when you exceed the maximum value, you lose all detail.

Try adjusting the exposure compensation to -0.5 stops of so, and if your camera has flash compensation, turn that down a bit as well. Your camera may have a histogram display that you can look at underwater. You can use this to quickly tell if you have run out of exposure room at the top end.

When you adjust the exposure compensation, your images might be a little dark, but it's easy to use an image editing tool to bring up the shadows and mid-tones to create a pleasing image.

Good luck with your photography.
- Jay

Hello,

Not bad at all. Few things you may want to experiment with. change the F/stop and don't be afraid to step back from the subject.

Also always embrase the ambient!

Ed

TedJ once bubbled...
You got some very nice shots, especially with no strobe and for your first time out. I liked the Turtle shots and the colors of some of the corals. I have the same rig and added the Sea & Sea strobe. I'm thinking about a WAL next.

Do I understand that you kept the camera in "macro" mode for all of the shots, even the landscape shots?

Thanks TedJ

Hi Ted,

Sorry for the VERY late reply. For the "landscape" shots, I went back to AF mode.

Regards,
Norman/Swordfish

Norman,

Great shots considering this is your first time down with a cam. I also am from Manila. How much did it cost to go to Tubattaha on the Vasco? Any comments about the boat, facilities and is it photographer friendly? Am planning to return to Tuba with my wife next summer.

Best,
Hory

Back
Top Bottom