1st Annual Atlanta Dive Fest!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matteo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Fellow SBers,

It is with great pleasure that I can announce the details for the 1st Annual ASD Dive Fest benefiting SUDS. Six members of the Atlanta SCUBA Divers Meetup Group including myself, had the pleasure of attending Operation Bottom Time in Key Largo this past May. Upon our return, it was clear that we needed to do something to raise money for this fantastic program and the wounded warriors it supports. And here is the result:

Who: You!!!
What: An all day event consisting of a SCUBA Skills challenge in which teams of two divers will compete in a series of 5 unique events while competing for great prizes and bragging rights, an Underwater Pumpkin Carving Contest, a land-based Scavenger Hunt, silent auction, raffle, and other events for non divers. Our sponsors including several local dive shops, equipment manufacturers, and industry types will be set up on site as well.
When: Saturday, October 11, 2008
Where: Dive Haven Quarry-White, GA
Why: Help support America's wounded warriors by helping to raise money for SUDS, www.sudsdiving.org. 100% of all donations will go directly to SUDS
Cost: $30 for individual divers or $50 per two-diver team, $15 non-divers
Includes: Quarry admission, entry into the Skills Challenge, t-shirt, lunch and drinks, and more
Does not include: Tanks, air fills, rental equipment

For complete details, please visit www.asdivefest.com

Cheers,
Matt

Matt...Great job organizing this!!!! I wish you much success as we have both seen the impact the SUDS program has on our injured Soldiers and Marines (Heroes in my book) returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. It was a pleasure meeting you this past May and please let me know if we can do anything down here in the Keys to support this event.

Fellow Divers.....If you haven't heard about Soldiers Undertaking Disable Scuba (SUDS) program please check it out. No matter what your views are about the war in the Middle-East, our brave Soldiers and Marines are coming home missing arms and legs from injuries sustained there. Providing these wounded warriors the opportunity to scuba dive helps them deal with their injuries and shows we care. Please support this, it's the right thing to do.

Good Diving,

Gary,
Thanks for your support. Amanda, Tom, and myself have been working hard for the last couple of months to put this event together and it's really starting to grow some legs. At present, our prize table is valued at over $4000 and we are working everyday to grow the list of prizes so that the local dive community will come out and support these heroes. We've got equipment from Sherwood, Genesis, Akona, and Ikelite. Classes from Atlanta Scuba and Atlanta Technical Divers, original artwork, prize packd from Coca-Cola, and more.
Here's what we need:
Corporate Sponsors, both financial and in-kind donations
Volunteers to help staff the event
Used dive gear donations
Participants in the SCUBA Skills Challenge

Please visit the link below for complete details.
Thank you Scubaboard for your support!

We've added several new sponsors in the last couple of days, so please check the website for all of the details.
Sponsors Include:
Atlanta Scuba
Atlanta Technical Divers
Seaventures
Sherwood
Genesis
Akona
Ikelite
Aggressor Fleet
DUI
Coca-Cola
Dockside Inn-Cape Coral
...and more

Prizes Include:
Dive Gear
Dive Clothing
Dive Travel
Original Artwork
...and more

Entry to ths Scuba Skills competition is only $30 for individuals or $50 per team and $15 for non-divers, which includes quarry admission, lunch, drinks, and more. We need your help to make this event a success and to support these amazing heroes who deserve all of the support we can give them!

How difficult will the skills challenge be? Mostly for advanced divers, or is it something that will be fun for new divers (my wife and I just have 13 so far)?

Some events will be more challenging than others, but certainly nothing that I would call "advanced". These are all skills that at some level were taught in your open water class. Currently we have registered people with as few as 10 dives under their belts and we've registered some who are divers by profession. The maximum depth for any of the events will be approx 30 ft. We've specifically planned this event so that it will appeal to both novice and experienced divers alike. And if you visit our website and look at the prize structure, you'll see that even as newer divers, you'll still have a fairly good shot at bringing home some prizes. We also have lots of cool stuff for non-divers as well, so don't forget to bring the family and friends out to help us support the wounded warriors.

Matteo,

Still looking forward to hearing from you as to see if I/we/Scubaboard can be of any assistance.

The Kraken

Cool! Yea I hadn't gotten a chance to look at the website before, but now I see what all the skills are. I think we will probably "participate" but not so much "compete" :) It looks like fun anyways, see you there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom