1977-ish Aqua Lung Calypso J set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoomi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I posted this in my "Thrift Store Finds" topic up in the Basic Scuba forum, but thought I might get a bit more information here. Tonight, at the local Goodwill, I found a Calypso J regulator set, in the original box, still with the original warranty book and registration forms.

If this set was ever dived, it appears to have been well cared for. I don't see any signs of rust or corrosion. Warranty card SN is B0779081. First stage SN is 733431, and second stage is 77 46380. I'm not sure if the mouthpiece is original, but for $14.99 for the set, I thought it was a pretty nifty example of vintage equipment. What appears to be the original pricetag on the box reads $113.00 for the set, with the box for 1083-00 Calypso J marked as the model.

Reg1.jpg

Reg2.jpg

Reg3.jpg

Reg4.jpg

Reg5.jpg

Comments? Thoughts? Insights? Memories, happy or otherwise?

This was the third generation of the Calypso, and a very good regulator. It is one of the few piston regulators with an adjustable interstage pressure. It is also fully functional by today's standards. You have a great find here.

SeaRat

Nice find! I have one as well, it is a very good reg that can keep up with most modern regs. It has the heavy yoke and is good for 3000 psi, has 3 LP ports and a HP port.
This incarnation of the Calypso also has a balanced 1st stage which is better than the new calypso. In short you have the best of both worlds, it's vintage and it's 2010 capable. It also has more Bling than any plastic fantastic made in the last 20 years.
When you dive it just remember to set the reserve to the down position if you do not plan to use the J valve because you will lose 350 psi which is the reserve amount if you don't. As far as service it will need a new LP seat and the spring pressure is usually to strong (I have had to cut them before) also the diaphragm is rubber and may be a little hard. They can be tweaked to pull about .8 on the magnahelic which is great and they will create a good venturi effect.
Good luck and have fun!

Great find with the box and paperwork.

I told one of my coworkers today that it would be funny to fill out the warranty form and mail it in.

IMG_5405.jpeg

IMG_5406.jpeg

I was just given this set. It is totally functional with the tiniest amount of free flow from one of the seconds. IP is rock solid at 132 psi. J valve is functional as well. Turret rotates smoothly under pressure. It held 3400 psi though rated to 3000. All hoses seem fine with no bubbles or bulges. I will not need to service or use it but love that is could be used with a service. serial number of 1st stage begins with 73 and the serial number of the second stage begins with 65. The scubair j octo has no visible serial number.

I love the slate on the back side of the console with notes from their last trip to Cozumel.

Back
Top Bottom