1969 Tektite Diving Project: A piece of Diving History

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetnorm

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it interesting to meet/talk with the medical officer (still practicing medicine) who examined the aquanauts during this historic project in St John's; now Retired Admiral.
He remembers daily "bounce" visits to examine the submariner crew who were u/w then a record 58 days....studying human isolation stress reactions.... playing his guitar with other equally talented scientists.... early u/w photography using floating light bulbs as flashes on first generation Nikonos cameras ....one photogrpher on the project was to become acclaimed Nat'l Geo artist....He still has his original double hose SCUBA.
After hearing his compelling recounting, I found this link to the event.
:cheers:

All of the Man in the Sea missions were pretty amazing. William High was on this paticular project as well. He is responsible for creating the PSI (professional scuba inspectors) company that trains dive store employees and other to perform the yearly scuba cylinder VIP's etc.

I took my PSI course from Bill and it was great hearing him talk about these Men in the Sea programs.

If you get to DEMA anytime he is always there and loves to talk about it. If not Best Publishing has published Bill's book "Beneath the Sea" Its lots of fun to read and discusses this very project.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom