1963 wet sub on Craigslist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OTF

Coney Island Whitefish Biologist
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Saw this thing listed on craigslist (not my listing, no relation to seller) and thought it was super cool, though unfortunately out of my price range. Do any of you resident vintage gear experts know anything about these? Did they work well? What were they like to pilot? Who manufactured them - maybe Healthways? How rare are they?

I hope someone out there uses or preserves this rad thing. The design is so beautifully simple. If I saw someone emerge from the blue and buzz a popular wreck in this I'd just about laugh out my reg and drown.

Vintage 1963 Submarine 2 person electric submersible WOW vintage...

Edit - in case the ad goes down it reads: "Rare 1963 wet sub submarine in working condition. 2 person electric sub. This was registered in RI and comes with the old RI registration and bill of sale. 12 volt electric system with a 55 lb thrust motor. 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse. Incredibly cool....."
pictures at: imgur.com

Saw this thing listed on craigslist (not my listing, no relation to seller) and thought it was super cool, though unfortunately out of my price range. Do any of you resident vintage gear experts know anything about these? Did they work? What were they like to pilot? Who manufactured them - maybe Healthways? How rare are they?

I hope someone out there uses or preserves this rad thing. The design is so beautifully simple. If I saw someone emerge from the blue and buzz a popular wreck in this thing I'd just about laugh out my reg and drown.

Vintage 1963 Submarine 2 person electric submersible WOW vintage...
That’s so cool! I don’t know if it $7500 dollars cool though.

The guy is a first class A-hole he bought it last summer for $1,500 . Keeps telling people I know what it's like to be a working man that can't afford what he wants. He won't even get $2,000. I knew the guy who had it first a dive shop owner in Newport R.I. I have missed a few other in the past no motors for around $500.

I remember lots of different wet sub designs back around the 70’s, the Reef Hunter (by Perry Subs), the Shark Hunter, and many others. Some were advertised in Skin Diver magazine.

They were expensive and what I recall is that most of them had a reputation for not working well.

Our “Marine Biology” club in our high school almost ends up inheriting a Reef Hunter with some strange history behind it, but we never got it. It would have been interesting playing with it.

This Sub is kind of interesting in that the forward diver seems to controls the elevator and the rear diver has the wheel that controls the steering, but the compass is on the forward spot. :confused:

Coo! stuff, but way too expensive. It's seem it was made in Italy, hope it was less hornery than the Decima MAS'maiali (pigs). :D

Here is my offer: $75.

Looks like the old Ski-Boose we used to tow behind a snowmobile. Would be a pretty neat toy, especially if it used modern batteries/equipment. $7,500.00 seems a tad rich, though.

Have something similar

Attachments

• Resized_20190201_103442_7127.jpeg
    Resized_20190201_103442_7127.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 191
That's awesome! Any more info on it? Have you used it?

Back
Top Bottom