1944 Yucatan Mexico Spearfishing Film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a cool early film by the Sea Net company. I had the original 8mm film years ago and had it transfered to dvd. The guy with balding head is Hal Messinger. He was a jober for the Sea Net company. He was also one of the U.S. first frogmen along with Frank Rodecker. Frank created Frankie the Frogman for the Sea Net co. You can read about both in the book Frogmen of Burma.

Mike I have also had the film for years..I received my copy from Ellis Cross...

FYI Hal Messinger patented the Sea Net mask which was a modification and adaption of the Japanese mask.

There is quite a story about the Mexican lad --he passed on in 1950s from a diving accident in Mexico..some one possibly ER said it was while diving in the Rio del Plata.

There is also a heck of a lot more about Frank...I know him well and was in the same dive club... will post later or share via a PM

You certainly have a good memory...
SDM

Yes I had a chuckle out of that also. His name was Apolonio Castillo. He represented Mexico in the 1948 Olympics in swimming. He was a LT in the Mexican Navy? He died in 1957 in a diving accident. Cliff diving I think. Some info can be found on the net about him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom