18650 batteries: what's your go to

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unwantedsn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I've noticed some radically different burn times with some 18650's that claim to be 2600mAh.
Is their a go to / general consensus on whats the best?

Thanks.

the panasonic ncr18650ga is the gold standard for a moderate drain, high capacity battery, but the lg mj1 and samsung inr18650-35e are very close too

really depends which you can find at a good price and whether you need protected or button top

really depends which you can find at a good price and whether you need protected or button top

Hmm, how do I know what I need? They are just for my lights, a sealife 650, dgx 600, and a bigblue 1100?

Hmm, how do I know what I need? They are just for my lights, a sealife 650, dgx 600, and a bigblue 1100?

protected cell if the light does not have a protection circuit built in. some also need button tops for the best contact if the positive terminal connection is not a spring end or raised.

Per above, Panasonic cells. Not just Amazon though. Lots of fakes. Mountain Electronics is a go to for the folks on Candlepower Forums and has been good for me and authentic stuff.

I did side by side rundown tests on Dgx600 and got meaningfully better times vs the 2400 or 2600 mah that came with them.

I use protected cells mostly. But, if I were a cave guy and these were critical backups, I'd use unprotected. If I really needed it, I'd rather not have it shut down when voltage drops. I wouldn't really care if I trashed the cell in that scenario. I'd rather have 10 more minutes of fading light.

Back
Top Bottom