16 hammerhead shark pups found dead in gill net

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeanMaui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
NOOOOOOO, you are wrong. Don't you listen to the commmercials on T.V. Haoles takin all da exotic fish fo their home aquariums is what depletes all the stocks. :banghead:

Probably sittin at home saying sooo what. It is my culture and I will practice it whether or not it harms the environment.

The really sad part is it isn't the majority of locals. The majority actually follow their heritage in that they respect and revere their environment and treat it with respect, even if that deems they cease an activity due to environmental harm or species depletion. Enforcement is hard due to the lack of manning for the DLNR. What would be nice, however, if the "local" majority took care of the "local" minority themselves. They know who they are so a few well placed A#* kickins by some of their kin would stop most of it I think.

Maui has outlawed this kind of net, except in communities where locals do practice the old ways.

Luckily, the fish collectors seem to stay out of my sight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom