???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a curiousity question regarding the availability of GUE/DIR instructors......I am not a DIR diver, but am very close to the scuba industry and being both a recreational dive 'Pro' and tec diver,,,get asked multiple times a year about available GUE folks in the DFW,Tx. area?? My own inverstigation reveals that several in the past have traveled to DFW for sponcered sessions,,,but that none live in the metro DFW area or even Texas?? In interviewing several tec divers living in our area whom do 'state' to be DIR divers,,,I find they have never attended formal GUE instruction,,,,,very few have that I know of in this area. Were would someone find an instructor for this area of the country,,,,each can choice his method of diving just as I have,,,I would though like to be of more help to these folks inquiring about such as the Fundies class ect.....also it might give those whom to swear by DIR to actually attend a program class. Again I am not a DIR diver or any 'named' method diver, just would like to steer those whom seek it to have the opp. to find someone. :)

Tex,

I, for one, appreciate your positive attitude attempting to help out other divers. Thanks for that.

The instructor database for GUE is at:
http://www.gue.com/Training/Instructors/index.html

They don't show the instructors by state in the US section (they should) but if you click on each one you can see their location. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any in TX. Colorado seems the closest instructor for the fundamentals level.

I suspect that anyone that really desires to take a GUE class and that sends an email to info@gue.com would get a response and possibly a referral to one or more instructors that might be willing to travel to a certain area.

Currently, out here in the Pacific Northwest, we have to fly in instructors for levels higher than fundies. The way we make it happen is to get an optimal group of interested divers together and then coordinate with a travelling instructor to schedule travel and a class.

Alternatively come dive the beautiful Pacific Northwest! I welcome Texans as I'm sort of part-Texan. (My brother lives in Amarillo. Does that count?) We have a part-time resident GUE Fundamentals instructor here, Steven White. And, who can blame him for living in Italy the other time?

I hope this helps.
P. Smurf

P.Smurf,,, thanks for your reply and the information,,,does help. From a personal note--I would love to someday get a few dives in your NW area....sounds like a great place for adventurous diving. :)

Also, I would have the divers that are interested register with GUE at http://www.gue.com/create-account.html. It's free and once the divers are registered they can view the master training list that contains, class info, instructor info, location, dates, etc. This can be very helpful. If their are multiple divers that are interested then they can get together and solicit an instructor to come to the DFW area. The instructor will most likely have the students pay for the travel costs + the cost of the class, but with multiple students it could be very cheap. Possibly you can get the folks at SIS to work with GUE to offer classes once or twice a year? I'm sure there are many people around the dfw, austin, houston area that would like to take a DIR-F class and would rather have the convenience of semi-local rather than having to travel to florida or some other place. :)

A dive shop in New Mexico has a DIR-F instructor come to their area once or twice a year to teach a class. My impressions of this is it helps them sell gear, as they are a Halcyon dealer, it gets their divers involved in the shop as they set monthly practice sessions to help the students interested prepare for the class and it's good publicity for the shop as not many shop's around offer the service to their divers. Just something to think about I guess. :)

I must confess that I am shocked at all the views this thread has gotten and so little input by ALL the DIR divers,,,,reading and listening to them talk the DIR stuff,,,you would think many more actual practitioners would be repling with info,, To those whom have provided some good data---thank you!

texdiveguy:
I must confess that I am shocked at all the views this thread has gotten and so little input by ALL the DIR divers,,,,reading and listening to them talk the DIR stuff,,,you would think many more actual practitioners would be repling with info,, To those whom have provided some good data---thank you!

Hi There. It could be that most of the people either don't know or couldn't add much to the already good advice from PapaSmurf and Amascuba. FWIW, what they said is the best thing to do. We just had a Fundies class here in Albuquerque, and there are no regular instructors here. We got a small group together and got an instructor to come to us. I'm sure the people interested would be very happy to have help organising something. You might want to look on the instructor list and pick some instructors close to you, and contact them about coming to DFW. Most of the instructors are willing to travel. If that doesn't work, how about a group trip to FL?
Good Luck.

Jasonmh:
Hi There. It could be that most of the people either don't know or couldn't add much to the already good advice from PapaSmurf and Amascuba. FWIW, what they said is the best thing to do. We just had a Fundies class here in Albuquerque, and there are no regular instructors here. We got a small group together and got an instructor to come to us. I'm sure the people interested would be very happy to have help organising something. You might want to look on the instructor list and pick some instructors close to you, and contact them about coming to DFW. Most of the instructors are willing to travel. If that doesn't work, how about a group trip to FL?
Good Luck.

Thanks for your idea....I would be in on a group trip to Florida just for the diving though!! Again, not being a GUE trained diver nor a practioner of DIR,,seems someone in the Tx. area could probably keep some busy in just this area and a few neighboring states. Jason thanks again for your help....I am better prepared for those folks whom do seek out this instruction as to were to point them for assistance. :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom