12' inflatable- how limited?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Lately I have been kicking around the idea of getting a small inflatable to dive from. Storage space is a real issue, especially in the off season so I have been thinking about an inflatable or a small RIB. I know the RIB performs better, but the weight and portability of an all inflatable or hard bottom is pretty attractive. Ideally it would be light enough that two people could get it in off of a beach and not need a ramp.

With that in mind I am looking at a 12' or so inflatable or one of the 11 foot RIBs.

Just how limited would I be with such a boat? Most of the trips I have in mind would be one or two miles out with the very occasional trip that may be a bit farther. Is an 11 or 12 footer really big enough to dive out of? It would almost always be just two people.

I work an odd schedule and although I can find people to dive, finding a charter going someplace I want can be tough.

Thanks

I had a 12' Achilles, it was a bit cramped with two people. You have required gear, fuel tank, anchor and line, life jackets, flare kit. A small cooler is nice and by the time you have your dive gear loaded there's only room for your feet.

If you're thinking of going out inlets be aware that the large power boats, tides against current and wind can make it very interesting with swells from all directions. Add the fact that some of the large boats seem completely unaware of your presence and you can see why I got rid of mine.

A beach launch with any kind of swell is very difficult, two to get it out, so you can lower the engine, one jumps aboard and starts the engine, the other steadies the boat and prevents it from washing ashorel. I've never done it but I've seen documentaries, it looks like a PITA.

Other than that they're great.

I hope rjack chimes in here.

He has a 12' RIB, and I've had the opportunity to dive off it a couple of times. We've had four people and their gear (and at least one or two sets of doubles) on the boat. It requires some clever packing, and does not allow a huge amount of mobility for the people while the boat is under way. It's very doable, though, and to me seems like a really nice answer to a boat you can put in the garage when you aren't using it, but that will allow two buddy teams to get to fairly accessible dive sites.

I wouldn't want to be on it if the sea was at all rough, though.

I would move up to something more in the range of a 14 foot non rib since you want to roll the boat up. A good 14 footer will do well with 25 horses or even 15. I like the Zodiac Bombards and Futuras in a all inflatable type.

My Novurana, still going strong after all these years. N

DSCF0469.jpg

Thanks for the replies, some very good info!

Lynne- FOUR people in a twelve footer? Yikes, I'm impressed and it is very good to hear that you all fit with gear...very encouraging as I was worried about size with two people.

A 14 footer would be nice, but there are quite a few ramps in nice places that are in pretty poor repair, not something I would want to drive my car down (too small) even without a trailer. Quite a few of the nicer ramps are resident only. Having a boat light enough to carry would open up quite a few options. I also know a few people with beach access but no ramp. How much work is it to set up and tear down a 14 footer? Carrying it down as hull and floor would be doable, but they are pretty heavy together.

I suppose the down sides of a smaller boat are being relegated to the status of a speed bump on the water, but I'm not sure a larger boat is worth the other hassles that go with it either. I have quite a bit of experience in the local waters in a kayak so staying out of the way of traffic and avoiding (or finding:D ) rough spots is something I am used to.

I have a 10 ft inflatable and it's perfect for two people. Bob snapped some pics of it at Point Lobos. They're in my picasa gallery under Bob at Point Lobos. The whole thing folds up and goes on the patio when I'm done-no trailer. The gas tank is one of the transom 3 gallon ones, so it saves space in the front of the boat for more gear.

Hi,
Yes I have a 12.5 ft inflatable. Really, the big limitation is even slightly rough water.

Mine has aluminum floor boards, a wooden keel, and a fabric bottom. The wooden keels are slightly more V shape than a inflatable keel, but not by much. I have a 25 hp electric start 4 stroke engine. The engine weighs about 150 lbs without counting the battery or fuel. Too heavy to move without alot of help.
I can take 4 single tank divers (who have to sit on the tube and hold their tanks at their feet). Its cramped but easy to store, operate and maintain. Mine is on a trailer.

I formerly had a 15 hp 2-stroke engine, 95 lbs. This would not plane nearly as large a load but I could just barely manhandle the engine on and off by myself.

If you are concerned about storage, I would get a either: 1) a larger rollup, like 14ft or 2) a smaller 10-11 ft rib. I would not get a small rollup. Not very seaworthy, hard to plane with a load, etc.

Personally, an electric start is really nice for 15hp and larger. I sold my wife on that concept claiming its a safety issue (it is if I'm incapacitated and she can't pull start it).

If you'll have the boat on a trailer, go for the electric start. I used to store the boat rolled up and in the garage with the engine seperate. NOT a recommended approach. It takes a long time to put everything together and rinsing stuff afterwards is a pain if you have to disassemble everything to bring it home first.

Let me explain. A 14 foot blow up boat is only slightly heavier than a 12 foot blow up but with a lot more usefull room. Mine can and has used engines to 50 horsepower but does OK with 15 with two people. All--all---blow up boats (as opposed to ribs and semi ribs) can be equipped with wheels. I have amphiboious (and removable) wheels for mine. I do not need to be able to drive my vehicle to the launch/retrieve point. The boat is assembled at the vehicle parking place where access is limited and then we roll the boat. Such places are for example, launching on a beach where you cannot drive the vehicle.

I am always a contrarian, I see no real purpose to a 12 foot rib. I would not bother with that, get a good 14 foot blow up. RIBs are great boats in the 15ish-16 foot and larger. Below that size I would stay with a quality blow up.

Outboard motors, especially since the four stroke BS has come to be are mch heavier than they used to be. This is a problem, a big problem. The 15 horse engines today weigh more than a 25/30 horse of the early 80s when I got my boat. I need a new engine but will look for a older Merc 25/30 and then rebuild it. A good light, high thrust engine. My boat performs marginally with a modern four stroke 15. A 25 horse will push four divers and equipment at good speed.

N

I have a 12' inflatable as a tender to my sail boat. We use it a lot when diving in Catalina, it works fine for two people and we have cramed four into it on occasion. Last trip the other couple brought an inflatable kayak along so we loaded gear into that and towed it. That worked great. If you have the room to store a RIB I would go for that as you will get better distance and speed. Best accessory is a 12v pump that runs off your car battery, it makes set up a breeze. If you have mastered the art of donning your BCD in the water it frees up a lot of space... just tie it on and throw it over when you get to your dive spot. ( works best with integral weights ).

These are great, blow it up and wheel it down the ramp, remove the wheels and away you go. Revovery is pretty much the same but you have to put your back into it to retrieve. They really make a difference. I bought a cheap pair of rollers to begin with and then went with these. ***** five star recommendation

http://www.allinflatables.com/shopping/custom/wheels.html

Back
Top Bottom