12-53 Rene tank 3AA2600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Six2Life

Contributor
Reaction score
Picked this tank up the other day. I really didn't need it but I understand this is one of the very early USD tanks. I thought it was odd that the working pressure is 2600 not 2250. It looks to be about the same size as an LP72 so I'd guess the capacity to be just under 80cf. Anyone know for sure?

Fortunately and unfortunately the tank came with a harness and J-valve with a pull rod that was run through a bend in the tank band. I say unfortunately because that prevented me from pulling the valve to look inside the tank before purchase. I bought it anyways and when I got home and was able to get the valve off, the tank turned out to be full of rust. I don't have a small enough light to get through the 1/2" opening to get a good look inside but about a cup of powdered rust came pouring out when I turned it upside down. I'd guess that is a pretty good indication that the tank's chances of passing requalification are about zero. How bad can a tank be and still pass? The higher working pressure probably doesn't help the situation. Hydro cost aside, is it even worth risking it failing and have the tank come back with the numbers pinged? (or possibly bursting it)

You know the physical size of tank if the same as a 72 you know that a 72 is 64.7 at 2250 +or- at 2475 its 71.2 so do the math

---------- Post added April 14th, 2013 at 02:04 PM ----------

hope its flash rust pits are bad if pitted check with pit gauge don't just condem with eyeball-en. LIKE TO SEE PICTURE OF VALVE good luck please keep it stock!

Don't write the tank off before it is tumbled and properly inspected. I have opened up some tanks that produce a lot of dry rust dust and flakes but after a tumble they were fine and passed hydro. That it was dry inside is a positive sign.

They usually don't charge you if it fails hydro, so you're probably just looking at the cost of a tumble. I'd take and clean that tank up as best as I could, (perhaps try a homemade whip), and then take it in and see what they say. The one thing I wouldn't do though is show the shop tech the original condition you found it in. Sometimes they're a little too eager to condemn old gear and that would just give them a good excuse.

Some Photos

800.jpg

640.jpg

640.jpg

640.jpg

640.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom