12/3 Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I haven't been in the ocean all week due to an ear infection so I'm suffering from "salt water withdrawal". Therefore, archive photos.
Our last trip to Micronesia was postponed a day on Oahu due to flight mechanical problems. We made use of the time walking around the Waikiki area and visiting the Arizona Memorial.
I took these pics at a shop in Honolulu. It is a corner store with a two story aquarium facing the street. An employee was in the tank using "Snuba" and feeding the specimens.
I wish I could get that close to the Mantas!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I know someone that fed the sting rays....had the food in a bag on their belt. Some food got on their suit and the rays started sucking the food off them - big ray hickie on the leg......BTW, you were three blocks away from me.... :(

Nice pics. I know a guy that got a stingray hickey. He said it hurt like he double hocky sticks.

the bigger tank is in the Pacific Beach Hotel

PS: hope you get well soon!

Sorry to hear about the infection. Did you maybe pick it up on your trip?

I understand about the aquarium. We go to one in Galveston for our visual saltwater fix!

Looks like fun!

Just to avoid confusion for those looking here & who might not know what a manta looks like, your shots are not of mantas but of sting rays...I am thinking that you meant you could get as close to the wild mantas as this person is to these sting rays :wink:

Gilligan:
I wish I could get that close to the Mantas!

You can. You need to get yourself over here sometime when the mantas are active. At the end of the dive, if you are in one of the last groups out, it is not uncommon to be surrounded by 4-5 mantas much like the diver surrounded by rays in your 3rd photo, as you are approaching the boat.

later,

Steve

alcina:
Looks like fun!

Just to avoid confusion for those looking here & who might not know what a manta looks like, your shots are not of mantas but of sting rays...I am thinking that you meant you could get as close to the wild mantas as this person is to these sting rays :wink:

Exactly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom