12/15 Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
60.gif

STOUT MORAY
This eel was in some hardware on a WW II vehicle wreck.
(F6.3 - 1/160 - External Strobe)
1.jpg

FLAGTAIL TILEFISH
These critters always dive into their holes when I get close so I used manual white balance w/o the strobe from farther away.
(F4.0 - 1/80 - No Strobe - Manual White Balance)
2.jpg

BLACK-LIPPED PEARL OYSTER
This is the oyster cultured in the South Pacific to produce the expensive Tahitian black pearl. The taking of them anywhere in Hawaii is illegal.
(F6.3 - 1/160 - External Strobe)

3.jpg

Cool shots. That Eels has just about outgrown that hidey hole! How big is that oyster? My guess is 8-10" using the damsel as a guide.

Great pics,

Saw this on Yahoo Giant Surf :icon10: . Just curious, does this limit your kayak diving in Maui?

Rob

It was almost flat water off of South Maui this morning since it is protected from the NW swell by West Maui, Molokai, and Lanai.

The surf was much higher at Honolua Bay, a few miles north of Lahaina in W. Maui. (see thumbnail.) This area is still partially protected by Molokai, so it wasn't nearly as high as the surf around Jaws on the north side of W. Maui.

I didn't get to see the truly awesome surf on the north side of Maui. Perhaps I'll get over there during the next set of big swells that are due in Saturday.

Very nice pics as usual.

rjens:
Great pics,

Saw this on Yahoo Giant Surf :icon10: . Just curious, does this limit your kayak diving in Maui?

Rob

No, like Charlie99 said it was flat at South Maui. North swells don't effect my diving but SW ones do as they come directly at the South side.
My gf Christine stopped by the Kahului Harbor in the morning after work and the surf was a monster outside the breakwater.

Dee:
Cool shots. That Eels has just about outgrown that hidey hole! How big is that oyster? My guess is 8-10" using the damsel as a guide.

I believe it was around 10" across.

I love the pearl oyster. but, again all are really nice. Jim thanks so much all you've done.

Back
Top Bottom