113 y.o Russian warship found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Came accross this article this morning, found it quite interresting that there will be that much doubt as to the claim, maybe most new discoveries are sceptical untill proven.
On the other hand, to my untrained eye and limited knowladge, the wreck doesn't look 113 years old, I would have thought there will be a lot more damage to a sunken ship of that age, but that is me.
Salvagers 'find sunken Russian warship'

I have always wondered when a serious search effort was going to be made on the Russian Fleet that was sunk in the battle of tsushima. That battle was one of the main focus points of allied tactics in the 2 world wars.

However the gold story I wont believe until they pull it out of the wreck.

I read on a Dutch mainstream news site that they estimate the value of the cargo at about $100 billion

Last edited:
A group of investors hired us in the early 1970s to research recovering the rumored gold and platinum on the Russian cruiser Admiral Nakhimov that was lost during the same battle. Going to the USSR was out of the question in those days. Reliable information on the gold was pretty limited so the project was abandoned.

To me, one of the most interesting parts of the project was the insight into the Japanese Naval history that was very apparent decades later in World War II history.

Related article: Japanese to salvage $3.8 billion treasure from Czarist wreck

I read the same stories. Also considering that the Russians paid off their sailors with paper currency (rubles), why would Russia risk a considerable amount of its gold reserves in battle? (The same gold reserves that the RMS Republic was supposed to replace?)

Besides a few Spanish Galleons and a few civilian ships from the 19th century, not many true treasure ships remain.

As I recall, a fair chuck of it was for their west coast base more than paying their sailors. That makes sense because the base would need a lot of foreign exchange funds for supplies like food, coal, and munitions.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom