11-2-08 Monterey Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coll

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Firstly, some ID help would be greatly appreciated! The small jelly was in the water column and was about a half inch long at most, any ideas? Also, the eggs, we're not sure whom they belong to? And finally, the opisthobranch on the kelp, I'm not quite sure what it is exactly, any thoughts? It did have what looked to be a lot of tentacles on it's base. Thanks for your help! Now the report:

We drove out to Monastery but found it looking a bit rough for our taste, although definitely still diveable. We got to Monastery at about 8:00 am, then decided to head over to the Metridium Fields, suprisingly few people for a Sunday morning so we geared up and headed out. I tried to get us further along the pipe than usual so we could spend more time in the fields, no such luck. Still dropped too early, oh well, the pipe is fun to creep along also. Vis was nice, about 20-30 feet! The weather was all over the place between drizzly and bright sunny. Anyway, here are a few pics from the dive.

Attachments

• smal opistho.jpg
    smal opistho.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 39
  • small barnacle.jpg
    small barnacle.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 34
  • small eggs.jpg
    small eggs.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 34
  • small hermit.jpg
    small hermit.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 38
  • small moon jelly.jpg
    small moon jelly.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 32
  • small tiny jelly.jpg
    small tiny jelly.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 37
Hey Matt, the temp out at the metridiums was 55 degrees today although it could be anywhere between around 52-57 when you come down would be my guess. Have you dove in Monterey before? I'm sure you'll have a great time, I'd offer to go with you but I'm out of town at that point. An opisthobranch is a broader category of the commonly used "nudibranch". Opisthobranch covers slugs and snails as well basically.

The Nudi appears to be a Melibe Leonina (Lion's Melibe). They eat kelp and swim. My wife tried desperately to point one out to me as we made our ascent last week, even pushed it toward me, but I thought she was pointing at a Sea Lion. The Jelly is a Gooseberry, I think. What's cool about them is the little filaments seem to have an electrical pulse that runs down them, lighting them up like a Jacobs Ladder.

Looked up a Gooseberry and I don't think that's it.

Try a Melicertum Octocostatum maybe?

Last edited:
Helpful as always Larry! I could see why you might focus on a four hundred pound sea lion rather than a one ounce nudibranch! I couldn't find much on the Melicertun Octocostatum, but I agree with you that it's not a gooseberry. Any thoughts on the eggs? Did you get a chance to go out this weekend?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom