100th Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txgoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For newbies, the 100th dive mark can be a bit of a threshold. Some do it nekid in the blue waters of the Caribbean. I did mine in a local quarry digging in the muck, helping a gentleman do some maintenance on a new platform. It was a crazy neat ride and very different from anything I had done before, so I am actually pretty pleased.

I learned a bit about how to rig lift bags. Learned a lot on how to tie off tools and anything being worked on. Otherwise, it will not likely be where you left it when you return. I learned how cords and ropes turn into amazing webs and tangles if they aren't managed well. And I was not very good at managing them. Got better. Yes, I had cutting tools. Thankfully did not need them. It was my first two dives (99 and 100) where visibility was in no way a primary concern. We were in the silt and mixing it up. At times vis was inside the 6 inch range as we lifted the platform and put pads on the silt, under the platform, to help keep the platform from sinking.

For all intents and purposes we were independent divers. At times we were only talking through touch and anticipating what the next steps needed to be. I was cognizant that if an issue arose, the bulk of the time we simply would not have seen the other's issue, and they would not have seen mine. For a while as I was watching my new mentor rig a shackle and line, his fingers were hitting my mask occasionally because that was how close I had to be to see anything that he was doing. I chose to get out of his way and look at the finished product after he was done.

Anyway, 100th dive, muddy, mucky, near zero viz at times and I loved the opportunity to learn so much. Sure I would have taken a blue water dive with the wife, but all in all I am dang happy. I hope to get to go back and help out more. A huge reminder of how little I know.

txgoose

Congrats!!! Low vis diving can certainly be challenging, but what a feeling when you get it right!

DW

Congrats!!! Low vis diving can certainly be challenging, but what a feeling when you get it right!

DW

Thank you! It absolutely felt like a new skill that I need a lot more time in. During certification, we had some 3-ish foot vis that felt horrible. But in hindsight isn't bad at all for my half of what needed to happen.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the spacial awareness required. I enjoyed the tactile focus. Not just believing your eyes or what you think should have happened, but verifying knots, etc, by feel. Even to the point of knowing where stuff should be behind me so I could "hold on" with my fins. I am a long ways from getting it right. Such a different and fun skill to work on.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

All but the most rigid peer enforcers should count such a memorable learning experience as a suitable alternative to the “traditional” hundredth dive.

Congratulations.

Congrats! Now change your dive number in your profile! :D
Yeah congrats! I get to change the profile time one more time (2023?). Why not. I did # 807 today--winter dive SOLO. But, everything's "solo" these days. Lots of folks out "social distancing".

My 100th dive was going to be on the Roatan Invasion. Sigh...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom