100th Dive: Early 19th Century New England Lost and Found!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just did my 100th dive..wahooo! We checked out a site that historically was a shipyard from way back. It was pretty foggy when we geared up, and although it got brighter, the fog was still there when we exited the water. We did a nice loop heading out to the mouth of the cove and then working our way back along the shore where there were some old pilings. Great spot, there was very little trash so most things we found tended to be historical in nature. Visibility was not too bad and the water temp was fine. There was a profusion of bricks, both sharp edged and time/tidally worn smooth ones. There were lots of wooden planks or beams and pieces of wood possibly from the pier or dock that was here in the 1800s. One of the larger beams ended near a large metal wheel drum. I brought my UW metal detector with me, hoping to put it to good use. In order to use the GoPro too (and not overtask myself with multiple things in each hand) I mounted the camera on the detector with some zip ties. It worked great, footage came out pretty good and I got lots of metallic hits including some small pieces of hammered metal and a large machine cut nail/spike. Pieces of pottery found included the more recent ironstoneware, but there were also sherds of porcelain, stoneware and a piece of what I think might be Delftware which could put it possibly into the late 1700s/early 1800s. My dive buddy came up with a glass bottom shard of a wine bottle, that might possibly have been handblown. There were some other intriguing finds as well. Now the plan is to dive into the internet and dig around some local sources to find out what and who worked here in this cove!

Attachments

• Sears4.png
    Sears4.png
    342.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Sears7.png
    Sears7.png
    386.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Sears9.png
    Sears9.png
    404.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Sears10.png
    Sears10.png