100ft deep dive, safety stop at a little below 20ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I few weeks ago I did a dive to 120' for 20 minutes my charts had me doing 1 min at 20' and 7 minutes at 10' for deco (this is using 50% for deco). I usually start to go for my 50% at 70' and go up slowly from there when I got to 20' my regular air computer had already cleared my deco. My point being that when you come up slowly you do a lot of off gassing (also that Oceanic’s are very liberal). Also note I still did all my deco with the 50% and if we are going to dive again I will hand at 10’ even longer why not it’s hang there or wait and hour or two on the boat.

There's a concept called "deep stops" in the technical diving community. An easy way to incorportate this into your recreational diving (technical divers: this isn't perfect, but it's reasonable :)) is to ascend to half your depth (rounded up to the nearest 10 feet) hang there a minute, repeat until you get to 20 feet, hang there a minute, then hang two minutes at 10 feet and then *very slowly* ascend the last 10 feet (take at least 30 seconds).

So a 100' dive would be:

Ascend to 50 feet, stop for a minute
Ascend to 30 feet, stop for a minute (50/2 = 25, round up to 30)
Ascend to 20 feet, stop for a minute
Ascend to 10 feet, stop for 2 minutes
Slowly ascend to the surface.

Roak

Ps. This assumes you have a "no stop" dive -- no required decompresson stops.

roakey:
There's a concept called "deep stops" in the technical diving community. An easy way to incorportate this into your recreational diving (technical divers: this isn't perfect, but it's reasonable :)) is to ascend to half your depth (rounded up to the nearest 10 feet) hang there a minute, repeat until you get to 20 feet, hang there a minute, then hang two minutes at 10 feet and then *very slowly* ascend the last 10 feet (take at least 30 seconds)...
Whereas empirical data regarding decompression can sometimes be hard to find, DAN has been spending quite a bit of time and resources to develop empirically-based studies. One of these is quite interesting, and directly related to this thread:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=514

To cut to the chase (emphasis added, see about 2/3s of the way through the article):

"Clearly, the best decompression schedule is Profile 6 (see highlights in both tables). With an ascent rate of 33 feet (10 meters) per minute, and two stops at 45 feet (13.5 meters) and 9 feet (2.7 meters) respectively, this profile had the lowest bubble score of 1.76."

FWIW...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom