1000 posts and still not Red?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyboy08

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How can anyone post say 500, 1000 and yes, even 2000 posts without becoming a site supporter! Boggles the mind!

I assume it’s the same folks that don’t tip their DM :rolleyes:

We don't judge. Well, not about that anyway.

So, explain about supporting SB.
Possible by donation only?
Where does that money go, what does it do? Does it all go into the site? How much does it contribute to Pete slowly but surely taking ownership of northern Florida ? :D
Are you sure that contributing to content and traffic to a site with advertisements as well as clicking on said advertisements every so often is not also a form of contribution? The great content here (not my drivel) certainly is - or is it not?
Anyway, seriously what happens with contributions? What happens with ad revenue or possible other revenue? What kind of business entity (ScubaBoard is a business - or am I thinking quite wrong there? (I know that I am good at that at least) would one be contributing to?

So, explain about supporting SB.
Possible by donation only?
Where does that money go, what does it do? Does it all go into the site? How much does it contribute to Pete slowly but surely taking ownership of northern Florida ? :D
Are you sure that contributing to content and traffic to a site with advertisements as well as clicking on said advertisements every so often is not also a form of contribution? The great content here (not my drivel) certainly is - or is it not?
Anyway, seriously what happens with contributions? What happens with ad revenue or possible other revenue? What kind of business entity (ScubaBoard is a business - or am I thinking quite wrong there? (I know that I am good at that at least) would one be contributing to?
For one, search is your friend :)
Has Anyone Ever Asked Why Be a Supporting Member?

I assume it’s the same folks that don’t tip their DM :rolleyes:

Ya know, I've refused every tip people have tried to give me.

So, at what number should I become a supporting member by? All sarcasm aside, I was looking at that just yesterday and am thinking of becoming a supporting member because this place is truly a valuable resource with lots of really smart folks.

I support Scubaboard. It provides a very valuable service. Is $35 too much to spend for a year for something that gives back so much?

If the answer is yes, then don't support the site that you enjoy too much.

I support Scubaboard. It provides a very valuable service. Is $35 too much to spend for a year for something that gives back so much?

If the answer is yes, then don't support the site that you enjoy too much.
Well, duh.
But what's wrong with asking questions about what happens with the support money (and income from ads and expecting real answers?
I for one think nothing.
Is it worth my support?
Absolutely.
A lot of things are.
Does it need my financial support or would I just contribute to the bottom line of a profitable enterprise?
I have no idea!
I did ask for help on that.
So far the answers were evasive.
Back to work...
Will try to see if I can read that thread @flyboy08 linked to later.

And @flyboy08 , by the way, I do tip DM/crew in areas where that is the practise... there I know who gets the money... and while you likely were poking tongue in cheek, it is a bit a below the beltline - imho...

Thanks for the thread. We appreciate everyone here on SB, whether they contribute or not. The funds do support me living in cave country as well as ongoing server bills, site upgrades and more. I don't live in a mansion. I don't have an extravagant life style. I'll never make a million bucks. Yet, I am lucky beyond belief. No, not because I'm the owner, but because I get to meet and dive with SBers and call it work. I get to see, and even instigate a lot of the posts before they go up.

While I do own the domain, no one could ever own the community. Because of that, I have separated the business side from the community side. I won't let the tail wag the dog. Volunteers run the community and we do in a way that honors what the community wants. The mods, aka mods, are real heroes in making and keeping our site nice. They don't vet for accuracy, only tenor.

But without our users (content contributors), we wouldn't have much of a community. Less than %5 of the people who come here post. They read and read and cogitate and read some more. You're like the peeps that write those editors to the editor and we love to hear from you. We love to hear about the dives you organized here, the classes you've been inspired to take and yes, we want to see the cool gear someone here has turned you on to. Pictures are truly worth a thousand words and videos are worth more like a bazillion.

Don't get me wrong: I would love to see many more people "go red". We could always use the funds. I would also love our users to reward our advertisers too. Tell 'em where you saw their ad when you buy. Reward the instructors who post here as well. Their insight and anecdotes are priceless. Even more important, reward them by posting your class reviews. Tell us what you learned, how you were challenged and why you choose this particular instructor. Like those posts you find amusing or helpful. If you want to support our awesome mods, BE NICE. :D Report when others aren't being nice so they can make SB even nicer. There are certainly a lot of ways to contribute to our community. Thanks for even thinking about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom