~$1000 for Scuba Gear - What to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tell new divers when they ask this question to always buy the best thermo protection that they can. If you are cold, uncomfortable, and the suit doesn't fit well, you will not be dive for long. After that is a good well fitting mask, if you need a prescription, get the mask with it. If you can't see well, you will not be diving for long.

The plain fact of it is that most divers become inactive in between 3 and 5 years - life just gets in the way. So, don't drop a lot at the beginning. This plain fact also means that there is a lot of used quality gear out there with very low use, look around and buy what you need as you go. If you stay with it over a year you might collect 200%+ of what you listed for the same funds.

I do have a question regarding your reg selection. The HOG regs are pretty well regarded, but where will you get them serviced?

Anywhere!!, I get mine done at my LDS. Who do not carry HOG, but carry customer service, and will work on my gear if I ask them

First, hogs recommended service interval is 2 years instead of the typical 1. So the cost is half as much. The parts kit for a rebuild did just jump however. If your LDS can't or won't do the service just use a one price box from USPS and ship it to DGE DRIS UDM etc.

Second, as it seems like you're picking all the right gear the first time around, you may want to take a long look at a BP&W. I'm a recent convert and love the simplicity and buoyancy characteristics.

Anywhere!!, I get mine done at my LDS. Who do not carry HOG, but carry customer service, and will work on my gear if I ask them

That's great that yours does, but that does not mean everyone's will. I was merely implying that if one buys equipment that will require service, that one should make sure they have a means of getting that service. With all the LDS horror stories that show up here, I can easily see an LDS taking the position of "If we don't sell it we won't service it"

Any competent regulator technician should be able to service the HOG regs if he can get the parts. There's nothing unusual about their design. So the two questions are 1) Who in AU can get parts for the regs, and 2) Who in AU is a 'competent' regulator tech.

If you can answer those two questions you won't have any problem with the servicing of those regs. Make sure if you are using yoke tanks to get a yoke regulator, or DIN if you are using DIN tanks. That part is very important. Don't rely on an adapter to use DIN regs on yoke tanks unless you need to be able to switch between DIN and yoke tanks.

I do believe piranhadivemfg.com ships internationally as well and carrys the full lineup of HOG. (including their BP/W offering)

I think getting completely outfitted for $1000 is optimistic if you want all new gear. I shelled out $1000 for BP/W with harness and STA with cam bands, and HOG setup for single tank (long hose, spg, everything) Piranha will also assemble the BP/W and regs for you upon request. (I chose not to as I felt it was better to learn myself incase I need to reweave on vacation or something)

I think $250 is a pretty reasonable number to count on for a good NEW 7mm suit. My first purchased computer was a high end Suunto, it will be going up for sale soon in favor of Shearwaters newest offering. But theres no reason you need to spend $1000 on your first computer right out of OW. (unless you know exactly where your headed and only want to buy once.)

---------- Post Merged at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Any competent regulator technician should be able to service the HOG regs if he can get the parts. There's nothing unusual about their design.

I think someone told me the HOG regs are extremely similar in design to Apeks...so if you have an AquaLung dealer near buy it shouldnt be anything they cant handle.

Make sure if you are using yoke tanks to get a yoke regulator, or DIN if you are using DIN tanks. That part is very important. Don't rely on an adapter to use DIN regs on yoke tanks unless you need to be able to switch between DIN and yoke tanks.

Agreed...mostly. I bought yoke the first time around and they were great on the charter boats. However, many friends were partial to DIN, and owned DIN tanks (they sold me on the idea that a DIN connection is more impact resistant because the Oring is protected deep within the valve). Therefore my second set of regs were DIN, along with the first tank I bought. Also, most of the charter boats I dove had the convertable valves (din with a yoke plug) so either would work. While a DIN to yoke adaptor isnt ideal...its easier to run a DIN reg on a yoke tank than a yoke reg on a DIN tank...

Looks like a solid start, plus getting damn near all your scuba gear NEW for less that $1000 is pretty darn impressive. Service is a concern and you should definitely have a plan for servicing before purchasing. As others mentioned I'm sure it won't be a huge issue, worst case you would have to ship international.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom