~$1000 for Scuba Gear - What to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

I've read through a fair few 'new divers' gear threads. Here is what I'm thinking of getting:

Regulators:
1st - EDGE Epic (DRIS Combo) $440
2nd - HOG D1 (DRIS Combo)
Octo - HOG D1 (DRIS Combo)
SPG - ??? HOG? (DRIS Combo)
BCD - Zeagle Express Tech $260
Computer - Suunto Zoop Wrist Computer $250
Wetsuit - ?
Mask/Snorkel/Fins - Already own
Weights + Other misc - ?

I've got the above coming in at about $950, which doesn't leave any room really for the wetsuit, or anything else I'll need.

Can anyone help me out?

I'm a new diver (10 dives - learnt in Palau on honeymoon). Live in Perth, WA which has some reef and wreck diving quite close, along with the Ningaloo Reef up north. I can't see myself getting into 'Tech' diving as such, probably just an avid Rec. I can see wanting to dive at places while on holiday, but not a 'diving holiday' as such....yet.

When reading through threads, I resonate a lot with the people recommending the 'simple' over high tech bells and whistles type gear. I also like that the above listed gear is high quality, good brands, reasonable prices and expandable when I get deeper (pun) into diving more.

Please let me know if you need any more info from me. It would be handy knowing if stores like LP, DRIS etc ship to Australia and how much.

Thanks
Dee

I can't comment on most of it. Though the Express Tech is a good choice - very minimalist is you avoid getting one of the deluxe versions with extra (unnecessary - in my opinion) doodads.

I do have a question regarding your reg selection. The HOG regs are pretty well regarded, but where will you get them serviced?

Regarding wetsuits, you might want to check the appropriate Australia sub-forum here to see what wetsuit thickness applies to your location.

Hi Dee!

I've used DRIS very recently to ship here to Brisbane. The shipping that was automatically calculated was high, but after postage they kindly refunded me the difference without my asking. I was very impressed.

The HOG stuff is great.

I will leave it to others to comment on the rest. Personally, I bought my BCD and so on via ebay, wanting something I could own, but knowing I would probably switch to a bp&w set up when I got more experienced. I don't regret having gone this route as it was pretty cheap. Don't forget to budget for a dsmb/safety sausage, a knife and some EMT shears.

I've got the above coming in at about $950, which doesn't leave any room really for the wetsuit, or anything else I'll need. Can anyone help me out?
I presume that the 'help' you are looking for is to find a cheaper alternative to the reg / bcd / computer combination you have outlined. Tough call - $1000 for what you have outlined is a pretty good price. The only option I could suggest would be to go with used gear.
It would be handy knowing if stores like LP, DRIS etc ship to Australia and how much.
You might want to check the Western Australia Divers BB (Western Australian Divers • Index page), and ID some local people to talk with. At least one dealer has expressed, in the past, a willingness to put together packages that approximate some of the online costs. Good luck.

The HOG regs are pretty well regarded, but where will you get them serviced?.

These are the things I need(ed) to know! I'm not sure if anyone in WA, or Australia can service HOG's. I'll do a bit of research. I'm ok with posting away for servicing as I should know in advance when I'll be going diving, thus when I need servicing. On a side note; roughly how much is servicing?

The HOG stuff is great.

Do you have anywhere in Brisbane that services HOG gear? Thanks, will def need to factor in those small safety items. I guess a kitchen knife won't ...cut...it?

I presume that the 'help' you are looking for is to find a cheaper alternative to the reg / bcd / computer combination you have outlined. Tough call - $1000 for what you have outlined is a pretty good price. The only option I could suggest would be to go with used gear.

Well not really. The help I need is
(a) are the products I've chosen good quality and allow me to use them for a long time
(b) am I going overboard (zing!) as many new divers do?
(c) can/should I get a cheaper Octo/other gear?
(d) if the budget of $1000 is too little, then what order should I purchase the gear?

You might want to check the Western Australia Divers BB (Western Australian Divers • Index page)

Thanks so much! I've already found an online LDS which could help with ordering/warranty etc!

LP (LeisurePro?) ships internationally. So does Scubatoys - they're both a Hog and a Zeagle dealer. No idea about shipping costs but they use UPS Intl' so there should be a chart somewhere. Service starts at $50US - http://www.scubatoys.com/store/regs/regrepair.asp

There doesn't appear to be a Hog dealer in Australia - according to their dealer locator.

[user]cerich[/user] owns Hog so you might ask him where the nearest service location is.

Do you have anywhere in Brisbane that services HOG gear? Thanks, will def need to factor in those small safety items. I guess a kitchen knife won't ...cut...it?

Hi! As diversteve points out, I don't think we have a local dealer yet. I took the punt, hoping that somewhere local will open up in the two years before my stuff needs servicing. One of our local reg techs reckons he would be comfortable servicing them, given that they are pretty straight forward, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to say that officially as he hasn't taken the specific training.

It is a consideration, for sure. On balance, given the low cost of the regs (I have the HOG 2nd stages only) I felt it was worth a punt, and they are a wonderful improvement over the Oceanic Zeta I was diving.

The help I need is
(a) are the products I've chosen good quality and allow me to use them for a long time YES, AND YES.
(b) am I going overboard (zing!) as many new divers do? Not at all. You have outlined a very efficient, functional, and price-reasonable set of gear.
(c) can/should I get a cheaper Octo/other gear? NO, as far as the octo goes. One thing I like in you selection is the fact you are getting two identical second stages. As for the other gear, the Express Tech BCD is a superb, resonably priced unit, as is the Zoop computer.
(d) if the budget of $1000 is too little, then what order should I purchase the gear? Presuming you can get what you outlined for the prices quoted, you won't have to stage the purchases. While I would personally go 1) regulator, then 2) BCD, then 3) computer, others on SB may / will have different priorities. There is not one and only one sequence.
You have outlined a nice first set of gear. Enjoy the diving.

Last edited:
LP (LeisurePro?) ships internationally. So does Scubatoys - they're both a Hog and a Zeagle dealer. No idea about shipping costs but they use UPS Intl' so there should be a chart somewhere. Service starts at $50US - Scuba Regulator Repair - Scuba Annual Service

There doesn't appear to be a Hog dealer in Australia - according to their dealer locator.

[user]cerich[/user] owns Hog so you might ask him where the nearest service location is.

I dont think Leisurepro carriers HOG...I cant seem to find any HOG products there.

I meant that they both ship internationally. And that Scubatoys is both a Hog and a Zeagle dealer. LP is not a Hog dealer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom