100 meter dive injury - Lake Millstatt, Austria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Google translation...
Man in mortal danger after diving
A diving accident occurred on Tuesday at Lake Millstatt. A 30 year old man made a dive to a depth of 100 meters on his own. His girlfriend found him unconscious at home from a severe case of diving disease. The man had to be flown to a pressure chamber in Germany at night.

December 8, 2021, 8:42 a.m. (Update: December 8, 2021, 5:24 p.m.)
divide

The man from Feistritz an der Drau was diving alone in Lake Millstatt on Tuesday afternoon. After the dive he drove back home. After his health suddenly deteriorated, he notified his girlfriend, who immediately drove to him from Spittal an der Drau.

The emergency doctor found the most serious injuries
Shortly before 8:00 p.m., she found her already unconscious friend in his apartment and alerted the ambulance. This diagnosed the most severe symptoms of the diver's disease. According to current knowledge, the 30-year-old carried out a dive to a depth of 100 meters. From the RK1 rescue helicopter, the man was initially brought to the LKH Villach and then transferred to a pressure chamber in Murnau in Germany.

Diver's disease, or decompression sickness, occurs because, under high pressure deep in the water, nitrogen is also deposited in the tissue. Divers therefore take breaks when surfacing so that this nitrogen can be exhaled again. However, if the surface is surfaced too quickly, gas bubbles can form in the blood and tissue, which can cause damage. This ranges from joint pain and itching to unconsciousness and respiratory failure. In severe cases, the disease can also lead to death.

300 feet solo? Doesn't seem wise to me. Hopefully the chamber rides will provide a complete recovery.

300 feet solo? Doesn't seem wise to me.
Or calling his GF instead of an ambulance?

and more than lucky that Murnau (which is a 250km helicopter ride to another country) was back online, a week or two ago they were at 100% in their ICU, as was the next one in Traunstein.

You'd think that calling a GF = ambulance but the translated article says found him at home. I would have to think that was a mistranslation otherwise GF is incredibly....

You'd think that calling a GF = ambulance but the translated article says found him at home. I would have to think that was a mistranslation otherwise GF is incredibly....
I checked out that paragraph part by part in online translation. " verständigte er seine Freundin" translates to "he informed his girlfriend" so he notified her instead of calling for an ambulance. Maybe he wanted her opinion before taking action that might seem stupid? I guess neither realized how serious the situation was until she found him unconscious.

Sounds like he was concerned but alright post dive then degraded and passed out later. It's common for DCS symptoms to get worse hours after the dive.

We do not know enough for even the wildest speculation.

Consider the spectrum of possibilities. At one end, the diver was fully qualified to dive at that depth, did everything according to standard protocols, and got bent anyway. At the other end, he was a basic OW diver who tried to bounce to 100 meters with no training, etc. The dive could have been anywhere between those two extremes.

Calling the girlfriend? We really don't know what that means. What did he say? How bad were things at that point?

I can't think of a single thing I could say about this without more information.

We do not know enough for even the wildest speculation.
Pfft, when has that ever stopped anyone here? ;-)

He probably figured he was done, so called the hot girfriend over for one last "hurrah" before passing to the other side.

the respective passage translates as follows: When he started noticing that his condition started to deteriorate he called his girl friend. (who, btw. lives around 20km away).
When the girl friend arrived, he was unconscious, so the girl friend call the ambulance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom