(10 JUL 05) Fatality in Nanaimo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just heard about a fatality today in Nanaimo. A diver surfaced after a 15 min dive to max depth of 80ft. Witness says he was coherent and seemed fine for a few minutes while swimming toward the boat then seemed to go into distress. By the time his buddy pulled him into the swim grid he was unconsious and not breathing. CPR was adiministered within a minute but to no avail.

My condolences to the family he was a recently certified local man. This had been a bad year for BC divers.

So sorry to hear of another scuba related death in our local waters. My sincerest sympathies to the man's family and friends.

Hi Dave...

Yes it was a sad day... we were on board when it happened... seems strange to talk to someone in the morning about going diving in Miami... then he is gone...

A very sad day... we all send heartfelt condolences to the family...

Shanyn
wedivebc:
I just heard about a fatality today in Nanaimo. A diver surfaced after a 15 min dive to max depth of 80ft. Witness says he was coherent and seemed fine for a few minutes while swimming toward the boat then seemed to go into distress. By the time his buddy pulled him into the swim grid he was unconsious and not breathing. CPR was adiministered within a minute but to no avail.

My condolences to the family he was a recently certified local man. This had been a bad year for BC divers.

KeSha P:
Hi Dave...

Yes it was a sad day... we were on board when it happened... seems strange to talk to someone in the morning about going diving in Miami... then he is gone...

A very sad day... we all send heartfelt condolences to the family...

Shanyn

It must have been very traumatic for you. I heard she did CPR for 22 minutes. When I did my first aid test we had to do 11minutes for the exam and it was tiring.
I am very sad for the family. A guy takes up diving and gets really enthusiastic about it only to have this happen.
I hope you keep in touch with our friends in Nanaimo. People who survive these events, especially those who administer CPR are traumatized by it and suffer guilt.

You can be assured we will keep in touch with our friends in Nanaimo...

Take care... and safe diving...

Shanyn
wedivebc:
It must have been very traumatic for you. I heard she did CPR for 22 minutes. When I did my first aid test we had to do 11minutes for the exam and it was tiring.
I am very sad for the family. A guy takes up diving and gets really enthusiastic about it only to have this happen.
I hope you keep in touch with our friends in Nanaimo. People who survive these events, especially those who administer CPR are traumatized by it and suffer guilt.

I agree that it does not sound like the death was a direct result of diving... sorry if you misinterpreted what I meant by 'scuba-related'..

NavyDoll:
I agree that it does not sound like the death was a direct result of diving... sorry if you misinterpreted what I meant by 'scuba-related'..

No Worries!!

The important thing is that this IS a tragedy that family, friends, and even participants/bystanders have to deal. I should have stayed focused on that.....

bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom