10 Day Wyndham Sabor Review - Aug w/menu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobra269

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Aug 13 - 23: Sabor Wyndham Cozumel
General: This is my second trip to Cozumel and staying at the Sabor Wyndham (AI). First back in Apr. I booked through Orbitz. Couldn’t use Air/Hotel since my brother and I were flying out of different airports/states so went with Car/Hotel to get the best rate and to be able to use the promo code saving $200 off listed price. I emailed twice requesting twin beds. We received the twin beds and an upgrade to a pool terrace room.

Rental Car: Only had the rental car for 7 days through Orbitz and we wanted one for the full 10 day stay. After lots of research and emails found out it was over $200 cheaper not to use the rental car we had through Orbitz. Rented a 4 DR VW with air from Less Pay. Cost with full coverage (collision, liability and taxes) was $33 (cash) per day with no deductable. This also included free gas. They picked us up and dropped us off at the airport. NOTE: Make sure you have copies of all your emails. First was told no free gas - showed him the email, then told price didn’t include collision – showed him the email, then told there was 11% tax – showed him the email, then had $1000 deductable – showed him the email. It all worked out, they honored the quote on the emails.

FLTS: To Cozumel: Flew Continental since they had the best price and times that met our schedule. Checked in online and upgraded for my brother and I from Houston to Cozumel to first class for only $79 each. Met my brother in Houston (IAH) and flew to Cozumel together. Both our flts where full – his from Phoenix and mine from Birmingham to Houston. The plane from Houston to Cozumel a B737 that carries about 160 passengers only had 27 on it. Only four of us in first class that holds 16. Customs at Cozumel was a breeze with only 27 passengers; we both got the green lite.
From Cozumel: Customs at Houstan was a night mare. Took an hour to get through customs and missed my next flight. Didn’t make it along with 80 others waiting in line to get on other flts.
Wyndham:
Arrival: Knew from previous trip just tell the bell hop out front you are staying at the Sabor and he loads your bags onto a golf cart and and takes you to the concierge desk at the Sabor for check in. Waited for check in and them took the bags to our room. Given card to use for beach towels. Cost $24 if you lose your towel. Cost $200 at Sabor and $150 at Wyndham if you lose your braclet. They were color coded and plastic. Also given plastic cards to be used for reservations at Robertos. The concierge desk also has a limited about of DVDs for check out. Rooms have DVD players.
Check in fast – on my way in 5 mins.
Departure: Took less than 5 mins to check out and be on our way.

Taxi: Lots of cabs around. Cost $20 - 1 way for up to 4 people to town, $25 to airport. Add an addition person $5. The gas station I used wouldn’t take US dollars which I think are only 2 on the island.

Sabor Side General: Low season – less than ½ full
Sabor Room: Was upgrade to a pool Terrace room in building 4400, room 4412. Room was set up nicely. 2 twin beds as requested, sofa, coffee table, coffee maker, desk and chair. Patio – 2 plastic chairs and a table. Also a hammock. Bathroom - hair dryer, shampoo etc and large shower. Even when the lights on at nite the room isn’t very bright. AC was on high when we arrived which was very nice since we needed to cool down. I had to use a blanket at night since my brother wanted it as cold as possible. Mini frig wasn’t stocked on arrival. They did bring us 2 bottle waters right away and beer the next day – only 2. We treated all the employees nicely and tipped – had as much beer as we wanted – Dos Equis after that. Day 2 - a knock on the door with an employee holding a case of beer. Thought great – gave him a tip but told me the cost was $35 US. Sent him on his way, but did take my tip back. There was a 5 gal bottle of water on a stand in the hallway so you could refill your bottles. Umbrellas are no longer provided, you can check out a poncho from the Concierge desk. Beach towels can walk so keep an eye on yours.

Upkeep: There was always someone cleaning and taking care of the grounds. Maid service took very good. We tipped 50 pesos per day.
Food: Staying on the Sabor side lets you use all the Wyndham side facilities and services but not vice versa.

Sabor: Room Service: 7 AM – 9:30 PM, comes from the Mosaique. Coconut shrimp – okay. Really enjoyed the Calamares.
P1080492.jpg

P1080493.jpg

P1080540.jpg

Mosaique: The place was clean and service was excellent. Everyone treated you like king/queen. Leaving a tip even made the experience that much better. We tipped 3 times each for the breakfast/lunch crew and then the dinner crew. Would remember what drinks you liked, etc. Extra cost: ribeye and new york steak - $14, lobster - $23. My most favorite eating experience while there.

Breakfast 7 AM – 11 AM; ate every breakfast here, Tip: if you are in a hurry just ask them for some fruit and toast. It was a good sit down breakfast. I dove early so they knew just to bring me toast and sweet rolls. Never had to ask after day 2.
P1080524.jpg

Lunch 12:30 PM – 3:30 PM; Ate every lunch here.
P1080525.jpg

P1080529.jpg

Dinner 6 PM – 9:30 PM (reservations required at Concierge Desk, check you can make reservation for at least 1 day in advance). We both thought the food was excellent and service always great. Ate all but 4 dinners here.
P1080535.jpg

P1080536.jpg

Between my brother and me we had everything on the menu for lunch and dinner. All the fish dishes were excellent, the Nachos at lunch a great disappointment – Taco Bell comes to mind.
Sabores: Swim up bar 10 AM – 6 PM. Tomas bartender. Don’t forget to tip him. Bring an insulated mug to put your drinks in to keep then cold/frozen. They serve all drinks in plastic 12 oz cups. Also name brand liquor unlike the Reef side.
Cacao: Lounge next to Mosaique: (6 pm – midnite). Was the hang out for people eating late and for those that ate early for an after dinner drink. Has 1 pool table. Brand liquor

Wyndham: La Isla: A Change – no longer a buffet – order off menu. They put out coffee at 6 AM. Make sure you take and use the blue mugs in your room. Nice to sit and listen to the ocean and watch the sun rise if you are an early riser like me.
Breakfast 7 AM – 11 AM; Self server fruit, pastry, cereal bar in addition to ordering off menu. Never ate but walked through one time.
Lunch 12:30 PM – 3:30 PM; Never ate.
Dinner 6 PM – 9:30 PM; Salad and dessert bar in addition to order off menu. Has its own bar inside. We ate dinner here once. Had Shrimp Au Chipotle. Worst meal of my stay. My brother had a fish dish and thought it was okay. Nice to eat looking out at the ocean.
P1080495.jpg

P1080497.jpg

Snack 10 PM – 1 AM; Never ate.
El Marinero: Snack bar on beach. Lunch – hot dogs, etc. 11 AM – 6 PM and 10 PM to 1 AM; Pictures above grill are your menus items to choose from. Never ate here. Ate last time in Apr – not impressed – fast food but if you are drinking – GREAT.
Robertos: Dinner – Italian Food 5:30 PM – 9:30 PM (reservations required – make at La Isla – you can make reservations for more than 1 day in advance). Extra charges: Rib Eye and New York steak - $14 US, lobster $23 US. We ate here 3 times. Thought food and service was excellent. The beef filet was great.
P1080500.jpg

P1080501.jpg

Bar Azul: 6 PM – 12 AM; Only bar with AC. Plays music really loud and also has TV’s. Music and atmosphere geared more for the younger crowd as the night went on. Just my opinion.

Wyndham Side General: Wi Fi in lobby only. Pool larger. Bar right on the beach – no name booze. Money change at front desk. Exchange rate was $1 US for 1150 pesos when there. Vendors sell stuff at night. Also shows and music at night. Never stayed around at night just walked through.

Beach Area/Snorkeling: Beach area large and sanding (man made). Turns into coral once you get close to the shore. Would recommend water shoes. Heard lots of marine life around. Saw 2 people one night with lights snorkeling.

Tip: 1: If you like to float on a raft at the pool, pick up a cheap one at home. The only ones here were left by past guests.
2: If you smoke the gift shop charges you 70 pesos per pack, the Mega Mart in town charges 30 pesos. At the time of my stay the conversion was 12.5 pesos to 1 US at the Mega Mart.
3. The gift shop does have a computer for use with internet. Expensive for what it will cost you in town by the international pier. Think the cost was a couple of bucks for 10 mins.
4. The ice cream is great. Leave room for it. They only have 1 flavor at time. Coconut was our favorite.
5. When you tip at the restaurant’s the tips are pooled among all employees. Even though it’s AI – tips go a long way. We never had to make reservations at the restaurants. Just walk up and were seated. Of course it was the low season. Even had the Capt offer to take us out with the employees to party with them after closing.
6. No cruise ships on Sundays. Best time to experience downtown.

La Isla is no longer a buffet? Wyndham doesn't have a buffet anymore?

La Isla with a menu? That is a new one to me. I wonder if it will be menu or buffet in October?
The beef carpaccio at Roberto's is fantastic and the wife agrees with you about the coconut ice cream.

ETA
Thanks for all the information. Just 5 weeks or so until we are there again and the wait is killing me.
Oh, snorkelling off the beach we have seen yellow stingrays. a huge southern stingray (4ft tip-tip), lobster, cuttlefish, all sorts of little fish. Permit (I think, it was fast and big) even a lionfish :( Lots of other neat critters that I can't recall right now.

ETA Pt II
A map of the Wyndham for those interested.
Resort_Map.jpg

Last edited:
Lou-

It is my understanding that La Isla is now a menu driven restaurant (for all seasons).

Here is our experience from our recent July Group Trip:

We stayed at the "Member's Only" Section of the Resort, with the All-Inclusive Option (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Unlimited Soft Drinks and Alcoholic Beverages). The main section of the resort is now Adults-Only, but since we were all adults (or had an "adults" wristband), everyone had access to the entire resort.

Check-in was easy, quick, and efficient (although, some of us had to wait until the afternoon for their rooms). The staff was cordial and friendly throughout our stay.

There was a towel exchange right at the pool, so we didn't have to go to the hotel pool area for towels. The Beach Bar, which now also serves snacks (hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, ribs, quesidillas & nachos), was also up and running.

The restaurants have been enhanced.

(FYI- for the La Isla buffet fans, this restaurant is no longer a buffet. It has casual sit-down dining --menu driven-- with a small soup/salad bar.)

For breakfast, Member's can order off the menu at the Member's Only/International Restaurant, or go to La Isla.

Lunch was available at the snack bars, La Isla and the International Restaurant.

We had dinner at Roberto's (Italian Restaurant by the Main Pool), Mosiac (Oriental flair restaurant at the Sabor Section of the Resort, by invitation), La Isla, and the International Restaurant.

Scuba diving was easy with Sand Dollar Sports (the on-site Scuba Dive Operator). We had our own boat, so we were able to select the dive sites we visited, and extend the bottom time of our "dive computer" profile dives. As always, the dive staff was accommodating and our Divemasters were tops.

The Dive Shop still has its own separate area with rinse tanks and showers, but the lockers were non-operable. So, we left our gear with the rinse area attendants, who cleaned our gear, daily (of course a tip is recommended). I can't begin to express how much better the reef/marine life has changed since the hurricane of July 2006. It was really good diving. We'll have some pictures up on our website, shortly. I'm just waiting for a few pictures that were taken by other "Diversified Divers".

As always, additional activities can also be booked through the resort, eg. windsurfing, wave runners, etc.; take a tour of the city and/or Mayan Ruins; rent a car/moped; and much, much more (including renting a Harley through Sand Dollar Sports).

All in all, this was a great Vacation.

Jeff.
DIVERSIFIED DIVERS SCUBA - Home Page

Low season Isla has always gone to the menu. Buffet will return when hotel occupancy goes back up, usually for Mexican Independence day week around Sept 15, then For thanksgiving thru June.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom