10-day trip this April - suggestions needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nk84_b

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I am planning a solo diving trip to the Philippines this April with flights booked to Cebu arriving early morning on April 20 and leaving midday on April 30.

Currently I am researching my options on where to dive and which places to visit and to say the least, I am totally overwhelmed!

I am an AOW diver for about 6 months now with dive experience in Thailand (Koh Tao) and Bali (Amed). Which places/islands would you recommend to visit?

I want to visit Malapascua for sure, for the threshers mainly and also Dauin since I read it's another great place in the Cebu area. I know it takes a day to travel between Malapascua and Dumaguete but I am willing to do this (private transfers) if I do get a better diving diving experience than Alona beach or Moalboal which are closer.

Another option would be to spend my time in El Nido & Coron but I am not sure this is worth it since I am reading everywhere that diving in Cebu is better than Palawan.

I also came across Dive Safaris but I'm not sure if this a good idea - what do you think and do you have any operators to suggest? I am not sure this is something for me since I am on my own and would also like to be able to spend some time after diving relaxing and not traveling around all the time.

I would like to book my trip before I arrive since my time in the Philippines is limited and the Easter period might be quite busy. I would be grateful if someone could help me out with suggestions and further ideas!

Thank you :)

Following... Just because I am interested In a similar trip. But have not nailed down timing. Sounds like you are further ahead on planning to.....

It depends a bit what kind of diving you like. Dauin is the only place of the ones you mention that offers muck diving (curious creatures, often rather small, on sand or rubble or, well, muck). Apo Island offers a colourful change from that. Balicasag Island, from Alona Beach, is even more colourful than Apo.
Book someplace in Malapascua for your desired time frame NOW, due to the Easter factor. I liked Evolution. They and other operators can also arrange your transfer to/from Cebu.
Check FairyBasset’s report on a very recent dive safari. Sounds both varied and relaxing.

I hope you're not discounting diving at Alona (Balicasag Island) because you read somewhere here that it's gone downhill and to many tourists. I've dived in Dauin and Apo Island the last three years and finally went over to Alona area last year to dive and thoroughly enjoyed it. You'll find as many boats and divers at Apo Island on any given day as you will at Balicasag Island. I skipped Bohol this year and did Dauin and Sipalay and if I had it to do over again I'd skip Sipalay and go back to Bohol which I enjoyed more--but I did enjoy Sipalay but I found the diving just average. Yes if you've never been to Dauin then that would be my choice over Bohol--great combination of "muck" diving and reef diving. Wherever you go you better be booking a place to stay soon--Easter is a big travel time in the Phils and finding a room especially in Dauin could be a problem. Here's a few pics of Balicasag Island diving. Some of the best vis I've found in the Philippines too.
MICR0818.jpg
MICR0776.jpg
MICR0805.jpg
IMAG0970.jpg

Malapascua will be packed over Easter and you really need to book ahead."Evolution" is also my suggestion and you better act QUICK.
Plan A
20th Private or public transfer to Malapascua.
21st - 24th Diving
25th Travel to Alona/Dauin/Moalboal. Moalboal is the easier of the three because there is NO ferry to catch.
26th - 28th Diving
29th Back to Cebu City unless staying in Moalboal which is only two hrs away by public bus.
30th Home
Plan B
20th Malapascua
21st - 23rd Diving
24th Travel to Dauin
25th -27th Diving
28th Travel early to Moalboal and you should be able to dive before noon.
29th Half day diving only(off gas) or you can join the trip to Oslob for the whaleshark*
30th Home

* you can travel onward on your own to Cebu City afterward instead of returning to Moalboal.

Have a nice trip.

Thanks for the recommendation guys - Malapascua will definitely be full over easter, we're already starting to turn people away. There is quite a lot of new accommodation this year so you should be able to find something, but booking ahead is a must.

Dauin/Apo probably is a better spread of diving however if you want to save time then Moalboal is an excellent option.

Thanks all! I think I might do 4 nights Malapascua, 4 nights Dauin and 2 nights at the end in Moalboal. I hope this will give me some diversity and I will get to see Moalboal as well.

Any recommedations for a dive center in Moalboal?

My flight leaves from Cebu Airport at 2pm - I guess I can travel early morning from Moalboal to Cebu Airport, right?

1. Moalboal OSP
His sister has a nice place next door but none of the rooms has sea view.
2. There are ONLY three ways to travel from Moalboal to Cebu.
i. Private
ii. Bus. Please enquire if there is direct bus from Moalboal to Cebu City. Waiting on the roadside for any bus passing through is no fun at all especially you have a flight to catch
iii. Shared van. The van will be packed to the rim and there won't be any room for the big pack. You will have to buy 2 - 3 seats if you want elbow as well as storage room.
Whatever mode you take please give yourself plenty of time for the journey.

Thanks again - I have one more question.

Would you advise 4 nights in Malapascua, 4 in Dauin and 2 nights in Moalboal or should I do 4-5 nights in Malapscua, 4-5 nights Dauin and a last night in Cebu before my flight back? If I would have to spend one night more at either Malapascua or Dauin where would you choose to stay longer?

One last thing - is Moalboal worth it or should I do go directly to Cebu for my final night?

I love Malapascua, been 7-8 times. As everyone said before here, book ASAP. I stay at Tapanee Resort, it's a little upscale but really worth it. The Italian restaurant there is very good. I do all my diving with Thresher Divers, really a pro shop. And 5 minute walk from Tapamee. Private car from Cebu was about $80US and included a private ferry to the island, booked through the dive shop.
Also look into South Leyte, Peter's Resort. It's whale shark season, and the rest of the diving is great too. Don't miss the night dive under the pier. 6 am ferry from Cebu to Massin is fast, then car from dock to the resort. I was diving in the afternoon. Again book ASAP, Easter is crazy busy time.

Reactions: jbb
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom