Suggestion 10,000+ dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
northernone

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Minor suggestion.

My own curiosity has me wondering which users have significantly more than the 5,000+ maximum dive count. Wondering if people would use an updated upper limit?

Noticed the 'I don't log dives' is also popular with the heavily experienced. Perhaps along the lines of the 'scuba legend' designation in a lesser way I`d love the idea of recognizing at a glance those who have dedicated such a significant part of their life to getting underwater.

That's the idea.
Cameron

Trace called my bluff...

Technically all you wrote was "You first", which isn't the same as "I'll show you mine if you show me yours". I seam to remember trying that line on a little girl when we were in first-grade. It didn't work out then either. :fear:

Like 70's "Rocky" Soundtrack mixed with scuba?

Next time I teach this I'll try to dip my fin tips less. That should be an improvement in performance. Maybe the student will improve to hold the camera steady too!
Great video.
Great technique, form & execution.
(And no, by no means at all would I actually be qualified to critique, not even close)
Excellent music choice.
But here is the conundrum:
So I think I saw the video, but,
If it looked like it might have been shot in a quarry, does it count? Does it exist indeed? Did I really see it?
:)

it's also super interesting to watch my dive count decelerate as my dive time increases significantly. My last 4 hour cave dive counts the same as a 30 minute quarry dive. No way I'll ever get to 10k dives with my average dive time being 2 hours.
Agreed. # of dives or total bottom time?

As a vacation diver I get a limited # of opportunities to dive each year. So I make them count. Shallow and long. But not stupid long like many of these deco divers I read about with lots of extra dangly bottles. But I generally get way more dive time than my peers. Am I am happy.

So years ago I stopped worrying about counting my number of dives. It will never be impressive. It will be fun, enjoyable and interesting. Our home made log book now prominently features bottom time as the big number (especially since my divebuddy has 13 more dives than me...)

This attitude even applies more to deco divers...

10,000 is nothing.

Human lifespan = 100 years + 1 year in the womb (pregnant mom dives, even in labor, rounded up from 9 mos).

5 dives a day * (101 years * 365 days/year + 25 leap year days) = 184,450 dives.

10,000 is nothing.

Human lifespan = 100 years + 1 year in the womb (pregnant mom dives, even in labor, rounded up from 9 mos).

5 dives a day * (101 years * 365 days/year + 25 leap year days) = 184,450 dives.

What about night dives. ...slackers.

10,000 is nothing.

Stopit with the dive counts. If you want to impress me, come up with a bottom time!

Stopit with the dive counts. If you want to impress me, come up with a bottom time!

Pufft, bottom time is for common air breathers. Decompression time is what counts. I did over 10 days on my second sat dive alone... and once was enough! My brother commonly did +/- 35 day sat dives in the North Sea but only did about 6 days of decompression. See how pointless this can get?

It's not bottom time, number of dives, or how many regulators
are in your dive locker. It's what you've learned and actually understand.

How to you measure the measure of a man... or diver in this case?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom